Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM

[quote=UofMontanaAlum;43308] I have been down there every weekend with the exception of 1 this summer and I have not once been checked for license or creel limit.

I've fished in Tennessee all my life, and I don't recall _ever_ being carded. In NC, I'm checked pretty much every time I go.

sb
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
True, and in the case of most slot limit scenarios.....they can still keep a real trophy as well if they so desire as most slots allow one fish over the protected slot.

Not that I support that or anything...but we'd have to honor it and not look down our noses at those who decided to.
Most people prefer that I have talked to fish of the 14-20 in range for eating.

A problem I know you don’t have, but many others do is that they do look down their noses at bait and spin fishermen
Old 09-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
Is this a done deal? There was a comment period, I bet most of you put in your 2 cents. I did and received a response the same day. The Clinch was a much better fishery when the trophy section was in place. There were many more large fish in the river then. It has been proven that the fish grow at outrageous rates in the Clinch when left to grow. Maybe the time has finally come. The face of the Landowner is changing, many more weekend homes along the river, people there for the fishing, looking for quality fish.
I hope TWRA stands their ground.
Tight lines,
John
Gee I wonder why the shocking data from the end of the quality zone shows 1.5 CPUE/(fish per hour over) 18 inches and the 07 shows around 11 CPUE/(fish per hour over) as to those over 14 inches data from the end of the quality zone shows 10 CPUE/(fish per hour over) and now about 15 CPUE/(fish per hour over). The 14, I find remarkable since the high flows of 03-05 washed a lot of the fingerlings out of the river that would have grown into this size range of fish. A fact that TWRA admits as part of the cause or the problem with what the agency it self said was a “ambitious objective “ in the 02-07 plan

Over the past 4-5 years after fishing the river for over 40 years I have had more success at catching bigger trout than I ever have and most of this is in heavily used waters!!!!! As a note my wife has had similar success and it is rare that If I do not see others having similar success
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Steve,

Here's a good one for you. Paula just got back from court. We had an alleged shoplifter arrested a few months ago and the trial was today. It was called off due to a pre-trial diversion. Before she found that out she had to sit through a ton of cases. There were 20 cases against fishermen for fishing without a license. There were other cases involving TWRA. At least in our county they are actively catching people who break the law. A guy I know pretty well and a bunch of other buddies were caught hunting bear over a baited field. Those guys were nabbed by TWRA officers who had been carrying out a covert investigation.

I bet you will find the same thing going on in Anderson County. Like RW said, we have cell phones today and it's easy to report someone who breaks the law. That could make TWRA's job easier and give them more effective use of their personel. I know of one individual who was fishing with stolen tackle on the Clinch, someone figured it out and called TWRA. I think the arrest was made by TWRA within a few minutes. Paula had to go to that trial too.

This summer four or five young guys walked in our store accompanied by a National Park Ranger. They all stepped up to the counter and bought a Tennessee Fishing License. The ranger was giving them a break but followed them to the shop to make sure they fullfilled their promise.

Wildlife officers are sharp folks. I bet they can pick out someone breaking the law from a ways off and they have probably learned not to waste their time on someone like you. Steve, maybe you look too honest. In fact, I know you look honest. Your Tennesse tags may be of suspect in NC.

Byron
Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 PM

While not in Tennessee, here in KY, a KY Wildlife officer came up to me two nights ago. We chatted, and he started to walk away. I asked him if he wanted to check my license. He replied that he had checked my license early in the spring. He does not see a lot of fly fishermen around here and we stand out. After he mentioned it, yes, he was the guy who checked me back on the Saturday before Easter.

Oh, here's a link to state poacher hotlines.
http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/poaching.asp

I'm going to print this out and keep it with my fishing stuff.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
i know that the guys from twrc and twra have been fishing with the kentucky fisherys guys on the cumberland, they have done this more than once , and have been impressed with the quality of fish and numbers . i hope this translates to quality fishing here in tn. but it seems that the clinch land owner association are opposed to any changes and are threating legal action.
i don't understand the beef they have.they still can keep a limit of those little stocker they have always kept.
No where has it been said or hinted at except by some people who are not dealing in facts that the Land Owners and Users of Clinch River Organization has threatened any legal action. I do know the spokesman and some of their board none have even hinted at the possibility.

Most people I know who eat trout prefer the 16-20 in for a variety of reasons.

LUCRO is upset for a variety of reasons. They do support science managing the river. The science shows the fish are there in significant numbers; most of their members I talk to or have seen fishing, have no problem catching them.

There is also issues dealing with the agency not living up to its management polices it has put forth or promises made in meetings I personally attended that involved both TU and LUCRO. That is before you get to the fact of why should a minority stake holder dictate to a super majority stakeholder what the regs should be? Why should all rivers have special regs? What about the common man, should he not have a place to go and fish to with out special regs?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Regs on the Clinch

RW,
Most all of us are common men and women, whether we like to admit it or not. So who are you speaking of with your rhetoric? Pretty humorous. Most people I know like the eat the fish in the 8 - 11" range, they are definitely the better tasting, the meat is milder. Of course that would require more trips to the river. Why not leave it there to be caught again. Those fish are worth money in the form of tourist dollars. This in old stale argument, let the slot happen for a few years and see the results. They will be favorable, you know it, whether you want to admit it or not. Yes you will see more "high brow" flyfisherman (I am as common as they get). It is a pretty fair assumption when you see a bait fisherman that he/she is keeping every fish that eats the meal (a real meal). How many times have I heard "I got my limit in 2 hours!" There are too many of us for that now. The resource is nothing but put and take, just let it be "put, grow, and take", never any more than that, it will always require stocking. That is reasonable and equitable for all parties.
Best from the "common man",
John
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
RW, I appreciate and respect your posting. I also saw your origins in Harlan which does explain your defense of the landowners. Being raised in Eastern KY and SE KY, one learns first hand how much damage the outsiders can cause to the natural landscape, i.e. coal.
I will get back to the rest of your post in a few days.

Question how familiar are you with Pa? and if very much what area?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 AM

RW, I have a brother who lives in the State College area so I travel up to fish the area there. This includes the Penn's, Spruce Creek and the Springs. I have also fished around the Lancaster area and plan to spend next Spring on the Yellow Breeches. I normally fish in the Spring since Summer water levels drop. If you like Fall fishing, avoid weekends when Penn State plays. It's impossible to get around the traffic when that's going on.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM

MR WOLF you are the spoke person for lucro and clinch chapter of tu is it true that you and your members are just against any and all changes ,and want no regulations for the clinch? if so ,i would suggest that twra lift all restrictions on the clinch and cease stocking of trout or any fish in the tailwater . than tva could run 2, 24,7 and no one would care. so lucro and mr wolf would be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!