Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Smile first time

I finally got my first chance to fish for trout in the Smokies Sat. It was great even with no fish. I had several hits but no hook-ups. I'll do better next time. Ididn't have long to fish because my wife had me a full day of shopping planned. it was also my first visit to LRO. Byron you have a beautiful store and a very friendly wife. I was quite impressed.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Default flies

one thing i forgot to ask was after i tried a yellow stimulator i went to a yellow elk hair caddis what should i have done next if i had more time a nymph?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Duckhunter,

Where were you fishing?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM

I would have tried a yellow parachute adams...we made several trips up to the mountains this summer, and it worked every time. I was up last weekend, and they definitely liked it, and a very small - #18 Mr Rapidan...last weekend, it seemed like they wanted a more subdued fly - perhaps that's changed with the rain this week.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Default PA it is

ijsouth,

Parachute Adams is just what I was going to suggest to the Duckhunter. I have tried several different flies and have had the best success with the yellow PA #16. The trout do seem to shy away from the more complex flies sometimes, especially in the larger sizes.

Have not tried the Mr. Rapidan - what's it like?

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Default location

i'm not sure which prong it is but i was a little ways above tremont it was also the first time i had been on that road even though i've been by it several times. how far does it go after it turns to gravel and how far up can you fish?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM

nvr2L8: It's very similar to an Adams - it's actually designed to imitate a March Brown, but, like an Adams, it's "neutral" enough to pass for a wide variety of flies. Its distinguishing characteristic is the yellow hackles up top, for visibility. Last weekend was the first time I've fished one in a while - the brookies and bows on Cosby seemed to want that one more than anything - it was probably because of the size I was fishing. The next day, I fished Straight Fork with the PA and did pretty well, too.

jgduckhunter: You were fishing the Middle Prong of Little River - the general area is known as Tremont. A little past the institute, the road turns to gravel. If you continue on the road, I think to the 7 mile mark or so, the road ends at a parking area - trailhead parking for the Middle Prong trail. The stream splits into its two major feeder streams at this point - Lynn Camp Prong and Thunderhead Prong. Both prongs fish very well. A portion of Lynn Camp Prong will be closed next year in an effort to restore brook trout to the stream.

I've never fished it below the gravel...and I haven't fished it since the latest stretch of dry weather. I fished it back in June, and even then the water was a bit on the warm side. I caught my first Smokies trout there at the parking area.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Duckhunter,

If you go up Lynn Camp Prong as ijsouth described (cross the footbridge at the top of the gravel road and go up the river to your left), you will come to a tall cascade after a relatively short walk up the trail. Above the cascade is some excellent fishing. This is the area that will be closed for brookie stocking after this year. I have also not fished this area since before the drought and don't know whether recent rains have helped this part of the river enough to make it as fishable as before. There were some pictures posted of this prong including the cascades about a week ago that were pretty sad looking. But when the water is good, this is an excellent place to fish.

So, you've got a great location and two good fly choices here, the yellow Parachute Adams and Mr. Rapidan - the latter sounds like one that I need to give a try.

Tight lines.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Default tremont

i was only 3 or 4 hundred yards above where it switches to gravel when i parked but i fished up for a mile or so just hitting the little pools as i went. i saw alot of trout every where i fished they were very spooky for what i'm used to. i have read some stuff Byron wrote on the fishing report about wearing camo and hiding which i tried to do but i wasn't prepared for how spooky the fish really were. they sure ain't stockers
Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 PM

You definitely need to be sneaky...this time of year, I try to dress in greens - definitely nothing splashy. Keep low and use the rocks when you can.

The biggest benefit for subdued clothing and a sneaky approach is the chance to get close to the fish. This in turn allows you to keep your cast as short as possible, and therefore you have more control over your fly. When I'm fishing in real close quarters, I'm really only flipping out a short length of fly line and the leader, and when the fly hits the water, I try to keep as much of the leader out of the water as possible. Drag is the primary reason for not getting strikes; if you make a drag-free presentation, you stand an excellent chance at getting a strike.