Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-03-2007, 07:24 PM

Default last weekend in september

I'll be in the smokies the last weekend in september.Can anybody give me a headsup on what flies to bring with me?I usually come two or three times a year fishing but never this late in the year.I usually fish around the start of the park from gatlinburg, and around greenbriar.Can anybody tell me anymore easy places to fish?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Good question - I would think anything tending to the light side would be ok, like a yellow parachute Adams. You might have to keep them on the small side, if the water is low and the fish are a bit skitterish.

Greenbriar will probably be good...the West Prong of the Little Pigeon ought to be good as well, and if you want brookies, Cosby is really good. Of course, everything is predicated on the weather - hopefully, the mountains will continue to get some showers.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just about anything yellow should still be good. And terrestrials... don't forget ants and hoppers hoppers because they should still be working... especially ants. But I'd also pack a few orange stimulators. You'll be at a transition time. as we get more into fall, orange will begin to replace yellow as the go to color for the Smokies. Try a size 14 orange stimulator with a size 16 BHPT dropped off the bend or a size 14 or 16 Tellico dropped off the bend.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes...

Gerry
Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Orange, huh? I'll have to remember that. I would like to get up there sometime in October, since I haven't fished the Smokies during peak fall time; I started last November, over Thanksgiving, but the leaves were already long gone by then.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Lemme know when you're headed up. Like to meet up with you and the girls. I've been meaning to tell you how much I admire your dedication to this area. I made my first trip to the Florida panhandle this summer and I now have a real appreciation for the amount of road time you've been clocking. I honestly don't know how you do it!?

Gerry
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Weird!

Halloween!!! I think is what thats all about...the fish celebrating the holiday! It works so well, its scary! Excuse the pun...It is a really good pattern in the month of Late Sept. thru the last of October while the leaves turn and fall!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks Gerry...I sure will, if we're able to make it up. It's tough once school and extra-curriculars sink their hooks into them, but if the conditions are ok, we're going to try, because otherwise I doubt we'll be up until after Easter.

I've always loved the mountains; while my family has been in the New Orleans area since circa 1845, I was actually born in Washington D.C. (a fact I don't normally like to broadcast). Anyway, when I was little, we used to drive to SNP all the time on weekends - I always loved the sight of the Blue Ridge rising in the distance. Anyway, even though my dad and I used to go fishing quite often, we never fished the streams there. My dad's office moved down to the gulf coast, so he got to go home, and I got into the various types of fishing down here, both fresh and salt water. Fast-forward to last year, when I was planning a trip back up to Virginia. For some reason, I decided to buy a fly rod and try the fishing. Two 6 inch brook trout later, and I was hopelessly hooked. I started fishing the Smokies, primarily because they are a lot closer to home than northern Virginia. Now, I've come to enjoy the Smokies even more, because of the variety - SNP is almost entirely a brook trout fishery, but in the Smokies you can never be totally sure what you might catch. There's more variety in the streams themselves, too - from fairly big water to the small headwater streams. I like the small streams best - it reminds me of when I was a kid, bushwacking through swamps near where I lived. I fished Cosby last Saturday, intending on just an hour or two - I ended up spending almost 6 hours there...just totally lost track of time, and loved it.

As for the drive...I'm sick - I actually enjoy driving . Seriously, it isn't that bad...it seems like the longest stretch is driving through the piney woods of southeast Mississippi. Once I get into Alabama, the time seems to go by quicker.

I could go on and on, but I really love those mountains...now, I own a small piece of them - amazing what some colorful little fish can do....

Last edited by ijsouth; 09-03-2007 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 PM

Gerry....if you want to shoot me an email:

ijsouth@yahoo.com
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM

I probably have fished the west prong and cosby,but I can't remember excacully where they are located can someone tell me how to get to them?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 PM

The West Prong of the Little Pigeon is easy - it runs right along the road (Newfound Gap road, or U.S. 441, although it is usually out of sight in the park), from Gatlinburg all the way to its start at the Chimneys trailhead. You can park at one of the turnouts - look for the "quiet walkways" - they lead down to the stream. It is a gorgeous stream, but it will wear you out - a bunch of huge boulders, and they tend to be slick.

Cosby Creek flows out of the park into the little community of Cosby, Tennessee. Head east on U.S. 321 out of Gatlinburg - about a 20-30 minute drive. When you get to the junction with Tennessee 32 (post office on your right), take a right. In about a mile and a half, on your right, you'll see the road leading into the park for the Cosby campground. Drive into the park, and in a couple of miles you'll see a large parking area/picnic area on your left. You can park and start fishing right there, or you hike upstream a ways to the Mt Cammerer/Low Gap trail junctions, and fish there. You can also fish lower down on Cosby, right before it leaves the park...down low, you'll probably catch only rainbows - from the picnic area on up, is mostly brookies.