Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks man I have fished the west prong a number of times but never cosby.What about tremont?Or abrams?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Wife and I coming the 16th of September. We'll take advantage of the valuable information imparted to others in this thread. Has anyone a guess as to whether wet-wading will be OK, or should we bring waders? Been watching the pictures everyone has been posting, and if it doesn't rain, maybe knee boots will be sufficient.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Waders

John,

So far I have not used waders at all and it has been very comfortable. Depending on where you're fishing, you can stay on the rocks most of the time. Actually, the only wading I have done is to get to another part of the stream. With the water temps above 60, there is really no need for the waders and I wouldn't expect to change that much in the next week and a half. Felt-soled boots a must - waders purely optional.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
Thanks man I have fished the west prong a number of times but never cosby.What about tremont?Or abrams?
Tremont is easy to get to...just enter the park at the Townsend entrance, hang a right at the "Y", as if you were going towards Cades Cove, then shortly, on your left, you will see the Middle Prong of Little River, followed by a road (you'll see a sign for the Smoky Mountain Institute). Take the left on the road - you're now in the Tremont area. I think most people would recommend driving at least until the road changes to gravel, at least during the time of year you're going to be fishing. You can fish along the road, or you can keep going until you reach the end of the road - the trailhead for the Middle Prong trail. There, you will see the confluence of Thunderhead Prong and Lynn Camp Prong - the Middle Prong trail goes up Lynn Camp Prong. The warmer it might be, the higher I would go. Tremont is a really nice area - it has been hurting lately with the lack of rain, but hopefully by then it will be back up to a nice level. Mostly rainbows, with a chance for a brown increasing the lower you go. Brookies are far upstream on Lynn Camp.

I've never fished Abrams - as far as I know, the easiest access is to go to Cades Cove and get on the loop. At the far end of the loop is the Abrams Falls trailhead. You can also get to Abrams from outside of the park, off of U.S. 129 via Happy Valley, but I think it's quite a slog to get to the fishable water this time of year from that direction. I would like to try Abrams sometime, because it definitely has larger fish than probably any other stream in the park. However, everything I've read and heard about Abrams warns of the slick, dangerous conditions; it's pretty much a given that you will fall, and probably many times. Abrams is richer than the typical Smokies freestone stream, because much of its headwater flow is underground, beneath Cades Cove; passing through the limestone beneath the cove increases the pH, and therefore the fertility of the water. When it emerges from the end of the cove, the streambed supports more aquatic life, including algae covering the rocks. I have three kids who are usually fishing with me, and two of them are still quite young - Abrams is just a bit out of my comfort zone with them in tow. Like I said, though...I would like to try it sometime, because that increased fertility leads to increased insect life, and therefore more food for the trout, and thus bigger fish.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 AM

I have fished the park the first week in October for the last 30+ years and have wet waded without problems.....every once in a while early mornings might get a little nippy....have traditionally fished in shorts but have found that the nylon fishing pants are the key.....light, quick drying and keep the bugs and briars at bay.....enjoy and let us know how you found the water.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Thank you, Charlie and Rog, both. I will try to find those pants. My wife says she wants something besides skin, to protect her legs. We used to buy fishing clothes at LRO, but since they've dropped clothing and millinery, who in area would have the pants?
John
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Nylon Pants

John,

If you are coming through Maryville, try Little River Trading Company. It is on the right about a half mile past Blount Memorial Hospital. I have two pairs of nylon pants with the zip off legs that I bought there and they are great to fish in and comfortable as just all around casual wear.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 AM

That's great to know, Charlie. I do thank you for your kindness. We are coming through Knoxville, from Ky., but due to the Rod Show in PF, will be coming through Maryville, so this is indeed perfect news. We'll stop there on the way. We used to fish in October, (around the 14th) because we always returned on our anniversay, but the water was often numbing cold and often very low, so we began moving up the dates. We've been trying to come since June, but Byron kept saying, "You're retired?, put it off and wait." Trouble is, the whole summer went by, and we don't want it to be a whole year that goes by. The Cumberland in KY was/is in dire straits due to the work on the dam, so we were hoping for Tenn to provide a respite, but it's been bad everywhere. We spoke to people in Vermont, and they too, had a dry summer with low water. I'll let you know what we found on the pants. I hate wearing waders. If you have never read Fishless Days/ Angling Nights by Sparse Gray Hackle, I'll send you a copy. The chapters on waders will make you laugh and feel good. Let me know if you've read it, and send me your address. I never bought the neoprene kind, but they are now out of style, and the three pair I have, both stocking foot and booted, are bulky and confining, but my wife says they protect her shins and legs. She has pretty legs, so I'm all for it. OTOH, my legs tend to scare fish and small children, so scratches and bug bites don't detract from my beauty. Yet, one May we were fishing in Greenbriar near Cosby, in the primitive area near the Ranger cabin, and were driven out by snakes. They were everywhere. We saw more in a 50 yard area than we've seen in all our days astream combined. I'm gonna buy me a pair ot two of the nylon fishing pants anyway, cause I like the ideas you put forth about them. I will call LRTC today to make sure they have Ladies sizes. Kay is small (size 6) so it's often hard to find things to fit. Let me know about SGH's book.

John
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Sometimes you can find these zip off pants at Wally World and at Bass Pro Shops for sure.....we went to these mainly to protect ourselves from a particularly viral blood sucking midge that inhabits the gorge of the W. Prong of the LP in October.....only time of year that we have encountered this bug and really the only place we have come across it....good luck and enjoy.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Default The Book

John,

I would love to read the book. Here's my address:
Charlie Barton
1714 Linda Ln
Maryville, TN 37803

LRTC has women's sizes in virtually everything so you have a good chance of scoring there.

When you come in, try out the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. There has been considerably more rainfall on that side of the mountain and the river is not nearly as low over there.

Look forward to having you guys back in the Smokies.

bartonca@hotmail.com