Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Charlie,

What are the conditions like in Cherokee - the 'Luftee and Ravens Fork, or other Boundary Waters? Is the term Permit Waters still used to refer to the Indian waters? When we used to come in October, we ended up in Cherokee most of the time due to the big rivers having enough water. Took my first spill right there in front of God and all the tourists one evening in 1985. No one had yet told me about the elves who go around greasing the rocks. Nothing hurt but my pride. People did ask me where I got all the sun on my face. Little did they know it was embarrassment. It's hard to act cool when you're soaking wet.

John
Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Charlie,

I found LRTC on the net. At least I found their phone number and address; but I cannot find a web site for them. Do you know if they have one? I was going to peruse their site before I called them.
John

PS Book will be in your hands within either ten days, or three weeks, depending on whether it goes directly to you or comes to me first. I tried for the former. Sparse Gray Hackle, as you probably well know, is one of the most famous trout fly fishermen to ever live, and he is considered the "Dean of American fly fishermen". He is, alas, dead. The first two chapters of the book are quite humorous" but, if you long for the days of the Theodore Gordon League, and the Catskill fly fishing clubs of upstate New York, this book will have you staring out the window, day-dreaming of yesteryear. A romantic way to live that is no more, sadly.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Reservation Fishing

John,

To be honest, I have never fished on the North Carolina side. There are a number of folks on the message board with experience on that side - might be worth a separate thread to get the right audience.

LRTC does not appear to have a website but here is an email address for them - lrtc@bellsouth.net

Guess spills are part of the sport. I've taken my share. The good part of fishing remote spots is that there's no one there to see. The bad part of fishing remote spots is that there's no one there to see.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Default NC Side

Hello John,

I have a little experience on the NC side, not near as much as the east side. As far as the Reservation Waters, I haven't fished them at all. I have fished the Straight Fork which is a tributary of Raven Fork. You can get to this stream from Big Cove Rd., go past the Reservation fish hatchery untill you reach the back entrance to the GSNP, the road is named Straight Fork after you pass through this entrance. I have only fished this streams a few times, but it does offer the possibility of a grand slam. Rainbows and browns are common on the lower stretch, brookies become common after the stream crosses the road (to the left as your going upstream). This stream has a relatively low gradient as compared to many other Smoky streams. There is less pressure from tourists than other areas of the Park. Another NC stream I would recommend is Bradley Fork which is a tributary of the Luftee. Bradley also offers the possibilty of a grand slam if your willing to hike a few miles and fish the headwaters. Like many streams in the Smokies, the farther you hike in the fishing gets better in my opinion, and of course you'll have less contact with non-fishing tourists. The Cabin Flats area is one of the prettiest areas I have seen in the Park.

Hope this helps,

Neal
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the info, Neal. Thought you were one of those who had explored the NC side a bunch. May be thinking of Jeff.

This is good info for me - as much as I had heard about Straight Fork, it's good to know how to get there.

Thanks again.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the info guys sorry it took so long to reply,but I have been working long hours at work so I can be off to come to the smokies.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Default When you come

Southernboy,

We got a brief respite from the drought a week ago but it has dried up again since then. However, between now and when you are scheduled to come, the outlook is much better. More rain, cooler temps.

Look forward to having you on our streams.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 PM

I would definitely second the opinion on Straight Fork; it is a wonderful stream, and it has a little of everything. I got a slam there earlier this summer, in one relatively short stretch. I think it's about 5-6 miles from the park boundary to the bridge crossing Pineman was talking about; if you go above the bridge, you'll probably only get brookies. Lower down, it's a mix of browns and bows mostly, although I've caught brookies a fair way down the road too. The really great thing about this stream is, it seems to hold its own, even in this drought; the flow has been pretty good every time we've been there, and the temperature has been consistently in the low 60s. Looking at the map, its headwaters are way up in the mountains; I've explored a little ways up the stream above the bridge, but I would like to go further up - problem is, there's no trail above the bridge. Also, a short distance beyond the bridge, the road becomes the Balsam Mountain Gap Road, and it turns into a one-way road, so you have to turn around.

Overall, it's definitely worth the extra driving.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks Neal, Charlie, et al. Perfect information, much much appreciated. Neal, I know just where you say. Once, when I was new, and desparate, and skunked, and trying to show my wife how much fun this fly fishing is, and had no shame, I drove to the hatchery and caught my limit, and I didn't release them either. I probably won't go to heaven, but I never told my neighbor back home that I didn't catch them in the wild. If he was dumb enough to think a little GSMNP stream could hold trout as big as my leg, I wasn't going to disabuse him of his belief. I didn't lie, I just smiled.
You all have been a great help.

John
Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Msg to John Starks

John,

Check out the thread fishing the lufty, ravens fork or nanta under the Smoky Mountain Fishing section. Great information about fishing the North Carolina side of the Smokies.

bartonca@hotmail.com