Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 AM

Default A little success

Got to go a couple of times over the long w/e. I put in at the same place on the Staunton River twice on Friday and Sunday evening. Didn't do any morning runs, both times were late evening till sunset. I also fished the pond Saturday evening, no largemouth but a few very good sunfish.
The river is still very low, lots of grass and algae. We have had a few showers upriver which helped some, nothing though here in about a month now. The cooler nights may do some good soon though as far as the bite is concerned. I don't know the gentleman real well that lets me put in on his land but I always stop and ask on the way in or stop and thank him on the way out. I pick up trash if I see any and try to be a good steward like most of us would. I say this because Sunday evening he met me at the landing at dark and invited me up to eat with his family, they had a spread of fried chicken and vegetables, homemade ice cream, and all fixings. I was just touched at the generosity. How do you repay someone who does something like that? Really nice, salt of the earth, working folks. Anyhow here are a few pics:

Last edited by Bran; 09-04-2007 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: misspell
Old 09-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Nice picts Bran! Is that a pumpkin seed gill or a redbreast in the 3rd pict? great coloration regardless.

Ask the landowner if he eats fish and maybe take him some filleted bluegills next trip.

I hope to get back on some smallies this week, I'm having withdraws and I've tied up something special to try on em!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks Gary. That's a Pumpkinseed in that picture. Red Breast in the 1st and a Bluegill in the next. I have been having a ball with the Smallies and I gotcha on those withdrawals. The more I hook the more I want to go. Still can't get a popper to work here though, even at dark around the rocks. They only hit deep streamers and jigs. The wooly bug and weighted Craw patterns along with an occasional Helgramite weighted seem to do ok. You ought to see them root into that grass when you set the hook, they're determined to just bury in it! Tight lines!!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Late wednesday afternoon

Went again yesterday after work. We waded about 3/4 mile of river and back creek. Caught about 20 fish between 2 of us, about 8 bass and the rest were various Red Breast, Pumpkinseed, and Warmouth. The flow was a little better as they had a couple of showers up toward Roanoke to feed the river. Still not much depth anywhere though, a lot of vegetation growing in the water.
I walked down to our creek on our farm, normally about 12-14 foot wide and flowing steady at 3-4 foot deep. It was an occasional still hole with a seep flowing between them about a foot wide and 1 inch deep! I have caught many nice Bream and Bass out of this creek, now there are mussels high and dry everywhere. It's pitiful and I pray for rain every day.