Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Default rocky mountains plague!!!

Just got back from a two week tour throughout the Rocky Mountains north west of Denver. Catching up on reading here I read the Hemlock Wooley Adelgid thread with a sad heart. Here's a horribly similar but true story about what is going on out there in the rockies: About six or seven years ago a variation of what we here call the Southern Pine Beetle and they call the Rocky Mountain Pine Beetle showed up. Nothing has been successfully done to stop it by the government. Last year it captured five times the number of trees as previously killed. Currently the estimate is 648,000 acres already gone and it is expected to continue to spread exponentially similar to last year....in all directions. If we saw one continuous mile of dead forest we saw, I know, at least fifty miles of those beautiful mountain trees totally brown...from the valleys to the tops at 13,000". Our grandchildren won't have trees to see in those mountains! And between now and then the naked poles will eventually rot and fall, the top soil will wash into the streams, the streams will fill up and all the while the wild animals and the birds and the fish will slowly die from starvation and pollution. And some of the animals will move down into the towns and cities creating more problems. Why have we not seen this catastrophe in the news? Doesn't that park belong to all of us, too?

Makes one wonder about that 'cousin' pine beetle just coming into our beloved GSMNP area, huh? And similar thoughts about the Wooly Adelgid, huh?

I've got several infested hemlocks on my place here on Cove Mountain. Looked into doing something about it. Will cost about $250/$300 per tree to get it sprayed and the ground treated with no guarantee that they will be saved and the bug spread stopped.

Didn't we use to have chestnut and elm trees throughout the Smokies? Now they're gone. In light of all the money that the government is spending on so called wars and foreign aid to countries that despise us isn't it about time we change out priorities and try to keep our carbon dioxide ingesting and oxygen emitting life giving gifts from God bug free?

Choctaw
Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Easy there, Choctaw. There are environmental concerns everywhere. And they should be addressed seriously. So write your congressman and tell him it is important to you. But we can't shut the country down to deal exclusively with beetles. These problems need to be tackled in conjunction with all the other problems a country of 375 million generates. And sometimes you've gotta put your sights on the wolf at the door. Anyone who doesn't understand the importance of the war we are fighting is missing a large piece of the picture. Let's talk about fishing again...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Choctaw,

I feel your pain. We have some hemlocks behind our house so large that you can't touch your hands when you wrap your arms around them. Some of ours are infested. He have a lot of environmental problems in our world that need to be fixed. It seems like some years we make progress and some years we don't. I do believe the air quality in the Smokies is improving. I consider myself an environmentalist.

But I do agree with Brian, we should leave the war out of our discussion on this board.

Byron
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Pine Trees and Hemlocks

Both trees produce CO2, only deciduous trees process CO2. The southern pine beetle is considered a periodic infestation, we have so many pines that it is not considered a big problem from what I have read, though it is not pretty. The adelgid is another beast altogether.
Lets stick to fishing.
Best,
John
Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM

With all due respect, but if you answer someone's concern with statements like "if anyone doesn't understand the importance of this war blah blah blah. then you are alienating a lot of people who does not agree with that statement. Not everyone agrees with everything you hear from our current administration. I'm just getting tired of all these people who spew out their opinions publicly and automatically assumes everyone else agrees. I have really enjoyed this board and the previous one and I do love to stop by at LRO. Let's just hope this board doesn't turn in to one of those others where everyone turn against each other and keep it focused on fishing and the problems facing our fishing in this area. I have seen tendencies lately on this board that are on a slippery slope. I was hoping we can found one place where politics and religion can be left aside and we can work for a common goal regardless of our beliefs.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Fly Fishing Board

I second the idea that this board is a place where fishing and related topics are discussed and that other subjects should be avoided. Everyone has an opinion about other aspects of life and that is good; however don't think this is the place to post them.

Let's all go fishing.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see the original post as a political statement or an anti-war (or pro-war) statement. I read it more as the country needs to make some tough choices as to where the money is being spent (domestic vs. foreign).

I personally don't think the sky is going to crack and fall with one species of tree, but the trend toward major impacts on the environment will change the face of the mountains I so dearly love. This may be a catastrophic event or it may be just another in a long line of changes the mountains have faced over the past several million years.

In either case, I know I will not live long enough to see the huge hemlock trees replaced once they die and I find that incredibily sad. However, there is probably nothing we can do to stop this once it gets rolling and that too I find incredibly sad.

Invasive species need to be prevented, but with an ever widening global economy, I fear we will continue to see intermingling of species and introduction of new species (as well as export of our species) on a global scale. The fittest will survive. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, many of the things we dearly love will be no more and replaced by other things that our great great grandchildren may love.

I sure do hope my comments do not come across as political as that was not my intent.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Invasive species: Asian Carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Invasive species need to be prevented, but with an ever widening global economy, I fear we will continue to see intermingling of species and introduction of new species (as well as export of our species) on a global scale.

Don't know if any of you caught this story when it aired on CNN... it was a somewhat humorous piece on the Asian Carp invasion of the Illinois River.

I went searching for it and what I found was of very lousy quality. However, I found two videos that do a much better job of explaining the situation... without the humor.

If this works, below are two links to:

Asian Carp Invasion Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM

Asian Carp Invasion Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA

Talk about your invasive species This is some scary stuff.

Gerry
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Ahhh...the flying carp - I can imagine getting hit in the kisser with one of those things while in a boat moving at 50 MPH...talk about losing your bridgework.

BTW Gerry - it's looking like the third weekend in October for us, if we come up for a fall trip...just got the soccer schedule, and the girls have a bye week that week. Also, Tennessee is playing Bama in Tuscaloosa, so the hotels won't be so jammed....anyway, that's the tentative plan.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:16 AM

"Improvise, adapt, and overcome...."