Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Help me decide?

Hi,
I was in LRO over the weekend testing rods. I have a birthday coming up in November and have pretty much narrowed my search down to two rods (and one alternate).

I am looking to buy a 7'6" 3 weight.

One option is the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum and the other is the Winston BIIt.

LRO didn't have the Orvis in 3 wt. in stock but they did have the 4 wt versoin. Wow, it was a sweet casting rod. Wish they would have had the 3 in stock so I could have done a good head-to-head test.

The BIIt was also quite impressive.

As for background on my fishing: I fish a lot of small streams for panfish and smallmouth. I also get to the Smokey's three or four times a year. The home streams are not terribly unlike the mountain streams with significant tree canopy and limited casting room (just not as pretty and clear) A 35' cast is a very long cast for most of my fishing.

I have a Scott G2 5wt 9' rod for the lakes and tailwaters.

So, all of that rambling is to provide some info about me and to ask you all what would be your thoughts on the positives and negatives of my rod choices above? I plan to pick up this rod in October or November.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM

My vote would be for the Orvis Superfine.....I have one of their original one ounce rods and have fished it from the heights of Fish Camp Prong to the large pools of the W. Prong....have taken a 16" bow and a 14" brown with great joy....cannot beat the Orvis guarantee....my son broke my jewell with about 3 years to go on the warranty and I now have a brand new rod....can't argue with that.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:38 PM

In that wieght I can only say I've cast one! The trout bum! I have cast the rehashed model and man was it spectacular! The winston bIIt is also an awesom rod which is a bit faster....quite a bit from the trout bum....I'm a fast action guy but in that wieght I can't think of many rods out there that would compare! Dad got a St. Croix Avid rod and it's super slow i think! Try givng the Croix legend Ultra a toss....PA will chime in for certain on this...He's got one and loves it! You certainly have your work cut out for you! Good luck and I too am a Sagitarius....Stubborn!

Brett
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM

if I were going to buy a winston 3wt, it would be a WT. I've owned a WT in a 7'6" 3wt and loved it. I currently fish an 8' 3wt WT. The bIIt line is getting rave reviews from people. everyone I know who has fished or cast the new troutbum raves about it as well. though I haven't cast either one in a 3wt, I'd suspect they're both wonderful rods. some things to consider, which may help you in your decision:

winstons are american made (if that matters to you)
winston has lifetime warranty, orvis warranty is 25 year (this isn't a huge deal, as you'll probably own some other rod by then anyways)
the orvis has a nicer price.

personally, I'd go with the winston, but I'm a big winston fan.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Winston LT

Hate to throw in another choice. The Winston LT 7'9" 3 wt is a 5 piece rod that packs small, throws comfortably in the range you are talking about, and can handle nymphs too.

The ones you are considering are all fine rods with which you will enjoy catching fish for years to come. Cast them all, pick one, and that is the best one.

Have fun making the decision!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM

I cast a number of 7 1/'" and 8' 3 wts last year. What I ended up with was a Sage XP due to a good deal, but probably my favorite of all that I tried (including Winston WT's and BIIx, various Sage, St. Croix, and TFO) was the Sage SLT 7 1/2" 3wt. Just a bit softer than the XP, a fantastic little rod. Unfortunately it looks like Sage is discontinuing the SLT's. Get one while you can!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 AM

I'll second the SLT!!! They are discounted, and although you may be loyal to LRO, I would rule out this rod. If you like the Scott G2 type med-fast action, you'll probably flip for the SLT 7'6" 3wt.

aa
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Default orvis super fine

I went through the same ordeal about a month ago and settled on the superfine and am well pleased. I thought the orvis was made in the us also?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I will be back to the shop the first week of November to make up my mind then. I'm still torn between the Orvis and the Winston.

As for Warranty, Orvis is 25 years, Winston is lifetime. Let's see, in 25 years, I'll be 72. I hope to still be alive and kicking then, but I may or may not still have this rod by then and if I get 25 years use out of it, I'll be happy.

I did look on the Orvis website and their rods (according to them) are made in Vermont so I reckon that's part of the US (nah, I won't say it...).

Hmm, decisions decisions. I guess deciding on what fly rod to buy is not a bad kind of decision to make...

Jeff
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM

All Orvis rods except for the Clearwater and Streamline are made in the US. Whatever rod you end up with, make sure you really cast it before buying it. If possible get both rods out in the yard and cast them side by side.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee