Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Elkmont Sat Sept 8, 2007

Nice isn't it? I had a great day today, despite the obvious imbeciles who decided to do this. I ran in to this mess about a mile or so above Elkmont. It kills me to think that someone took the time to hike up there, then take the time to sit down and enjoy the river. Then when they are done they just left it like this.

Now for the more positive about the day. Well, almost positive because I managed to break my sunglasses. They were cheapos but still. How about the fishing you ask! Well, they took the fly pretty good this evening if you were able to present it drag free and with stealth. The water is back down again and it is tough fishing. I caught and released five bows, and they took the fly hard. I used a small yellow sally and the last fish took a larger orange stimulator. It was a very muggy afternoon but I was alone on the stream. I guess I'm right after all, most people are watching the game. I had a nice evening in the park but I sure wish people would bring their garbage back home.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Are those bait containers, mixed up with the bottles? Man, that ticks me off.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Hey Hans,

That's a pretty ugly scene, some people just don't give a hoot about the environment. Hard to understand for us folks that care about the Smokies and other areas. I'm glad you had a decent day on Elkmont. I am heading your way this Thursday to look for housing. Let me know if you want to hook up for some fishing on Sunday or possibly Sat. depending how the search goes.

Later,

Neal

Last edited by pineman19; 09-09-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM

It's pretty sad these days that people can not pick up after themselves...... I hate to say it but I see this mainly where there is open fishing to live bait, etc.... I seldom see it in the fly fishing/artificial only areas...... Anyway I've started to carry a plastic garbage bag to haul out other peoples junk! What can you do?

Tennswede, my thanks for cleaning up after those folks....... Doug
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Since all the tourists kids are back in school, this must have been the work of locidiots.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Careful Jack. There are still a large number of cars from non-Tennessee states appearing in the park. A number of these also have trash dumped on the side of the cars in the parking lots.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Yeah, I usually carry a couple of plastic bags for the purpose of cleaning up. I don't get everything I see streamside but if I can get to it without risking life and limb I will try to carry it out. It is just so disheartening sometimes. I didn't put it on here for any kind of brownie points or anything. I also realize that most people on a board like this wouldn't do these kind of things anyway. I just thought it interesting to post this picture since it was over a mile up on the trail. I guess my point is; They took the time and effort to carry all this up there. There's was a paper bag a little further up belonging to this group also. I guess the bear had been in it since it was torn and I saw bear droppings in the vicinity. This is the same area where a bear was spotted last weekend.

Neal!

I am doing an acid deposition sampling with TU on Saturday. I will be over in Cosby in the morning. I'm game for some fishing Saturday afternoon. Give me a call later this week and we can discuss. It all depends on if we are going to get any rain or not.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Ijsouth: I also thought it was bait containers at first. It was cole slaw containers from a fast food joint.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Hans, glad you were able to get out and that the fish are cooperative. I've got to get up to the park sometime soon, it has been way too long... It is really too bad that people litter like that. It always makes me upset to see scenes like this and unfortunately, they are only becoming more common...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
Ijsouth: I also thought it was bait containers at first. It was cole slaw containers from a fast food joint.
Yeah, after I posted that, I looked at it again - they almost look like the containers of egg-drop soup I get from my favorite Chinese place...talk about going out of the way just to litter.

We've found all sorts of junk streamside this summer - I bet someone could work a half-mile section of stream (pick any stream), and fill up a hefty bag full of garbage.