Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM

That's a shame, kind of a contradiction to go the GSMNP to see the beauty and leave that crap behind!
After volunteering for the TU cleanup this spring, I was indeed shocked at the amount of trash we collected just on the roadways. I wish TU would have another cleanup this fall as the park could definitely use the help.

Glad you had a safe afternoon Hans! Iíll get back out there when the conditions improve.

Greg
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to msdilligaff
Angry

That's enough to tick off the good humor man! Lazy & thoughtless people. I always end up picking up other peoples trash when I leave an area.....whether its in the water or on the shoreline. These people need to remember to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
Careful Jack. There are still a large number of cars from non-Tennessee states appearing in the park. A number of these also have trash dumped on the side of the cars in the parking lots.

Careful guys, an out of state car does not necesarily mean an idiot who's going to trash the park. I'm from Kentucky and my boy and I manage to fish the park three or so times every year. We have NEVER left a piece of trash in anything other than a trash can and have carried out a lot of trash from others.

It's a National Park and belongs to all citizens of the Untied States of America and is not the private fishing ground for the locals.

/rant off/ Sorry about the rant, but I have seen a definate "visitors are bad and locals are good" bias on this board. I've seen the phrase "touron" thrown around to describe anyone not from S. E. Tennessee regardless of who they are and let me assure you, not all of us from areas other than your back yard are "tourons" or trashing up the park.''

Again, sorry about the rant.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Jeff, you are absolutely, 100% correct.

The term "Touron" has been used by several folks on the board in slightly different shades, but its mostly in reference to attitude, not latitude. Namely, its folks who come to the Smokies and mistreat the park, either through trash, noise pollution, disregard for speed limits, pestering the wildlife or any number of abuses to the park and those trying to enjoy it peacefully. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but there are quite a few folks from SE TN that would be considered "Tourons"

Anyone who mistreats the park is a "Touron" in my book. They think the park is there's alone and they can do what ever they please and could care less what impact their actions have on others. Unfortunately, its a statement that could be made about many folks whether they come to the park or not.

BTW, the term Tourist means "someone who travels for pleasure"; therefore all of us who go into the park are tourists...we just need to keep the "Moron" suffix off our actions.

my $.02
Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM

Also, remember this works both ways, when some people say locidiots and some say tourons. I speak from experience, It doesn't matter where you are from some people litter and some don't. I have lived in Knoxville since 1994 and for the last eight years in my own home on a corner lot. I have to pick up trash in front of my house on a daily basis, enough said.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Since I now own property in the area (officially, completed closing today via FedEx), I guess I no longer qualify as strictly a tourist, but I have been on both sides of the fence, so to speak. We fished a lot on Straight Fork this Summer; since it is more than a little out of the way, and separated from the main "tourist corridor", I would suspect that a lot of the activity there is by locals. We've picked up a lot of beer cans from there, so I would have to say that they probably came from locals - I can picture teenagers "parking" in that area easily. So, littering is an ingrained attitude, whether done by locals or tourists. Down here in New Orleans, the tourists take the locals' lead - it's commonplace for people to pitch their trash out the window, etc...up until a few years ago, the success of each Mardi Gras was determined by the volume of trash picked up from the streets on Ash Wednesday. We live in a disposable society - things aren't built to last, and the solution is always to pitch it and get a new one. Unfortunately, our lovely park suffers as a result. I don't know what the solution is - all I can do is bring a trash bag with me and pick up as I go along.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:18 AM

Default It's everywhere

I have traveled in 45 of our 50 states. Trashy people live everywhere. Tennessee is certainly no exception. Some states, like Oregon, do a better job of keeping things clean, but it just gets down to the attitude of the citizens. There aren't enough police or park rangers to ensure trash is not dumped, and given the lack of respect for law and life in our society, most people are afraid to say anything to trash tossers. I suspect most of them do the same in their home. The only answer is what most of you have indicated. We just have to clean up their mess. The good news is that the vast majority of the park remains clean and beautiful. Given the amount of visitors, it is remarkable it is so clean.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 09-14-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 09-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default Wow! Thanks!

Gosh...Byron and I just got back from a fishing trip and I was reading up on the board to see what happened while we were away. I started reading this thread and gave a great big groan wondering what was going to be said that might be offensive.

We all love this place, the Great Smoky Mountains. We all abhor trash throwers (I won't even tell you what I hauled out of the Park last weekend - I seriously wanted gloves). And I think all of us equally should dislike name calling. To me, it is unnecessary and just inflames sensibilities. I understand the desire to create labels for a certain type of behavior, but those behaviors are not limited to one group or to one type of visitor to the Park.

So, let me thank those of you who did, for bringing it all back into perspective. Thanks.

Paula
Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Paula and all. I guess I'm going to have to clarify my post. My english is not that good since I'm not a native speaker. I meant to say that I dislike both "labels" locidiots or tourons. In no way did I mean to give the impression that I use any of these two labels. Sorry if I stirred it up.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Hans, I was not meaning to imply that you said anything offensive.

I was referring to the fact that we all agree that trash in our Park is offensive. We can agree on that without calling names, because I would hazard a guess that visitors and locals alike litter in the Park.

I was also referring to the fact that this thread could have gotten out of hand, and I was happy to see you handled yourselves beautifully in keeping it on topic and did not get derailed by labels or blame throwing.

Paula