Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Garden City, SC

Heading down to Garden City, SC which is just south of Myrtle Beach on the 19th. Has anyone surf fished with a fly in that area before?
I have only used my spinning reels before. I have a nice new 8wt that is waiting for its first victim. Daniel gave me a couple flies to try, but I am wondering if anyone might have any tips for fishing with waves breaking and more techniques tips.
Any help is appreciated.
-Ben
Old 10-09-2007, 04:09 PM

Just came back from Myrtle but didn't take the flyrod, but we caught pompano,whiting, and blues in the surf...last time I did take the long rod and though didn't catch anything, a heavy sink tip to get into the waves was needed and I grabbed some flies at the bass pro that were of some sand flea immitations...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 AM

Ben,

I have never fished that part of the state. I have fished the Cape Lookout area of NC, but all of that was from a boat. In terms of flies, I would suggest some pretty standard stuff such as clousers (chartreuse and white is always a great color), deceivers and some surface flies if the water is calm and fish are taking stuff on the surface. You might also consider getting some Surf Candies. They are epoxy and synthetic and are little more durable than flies tied with bucktail if you run into some bluefish.

One thing you might want to look into making or purchasing is a stripping basket. It will really help with line control and keep it from turning into a tangled knot from churning in the surf.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Drew
Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Hi Captian Drew,

Paula and your Mom were together yesterday. I saw the photos of your 14 pound bonefish and that huge permit. We hope to have the new photo board up in a few days. Your photos will be proudly displayed. If you are coming back to Tennessee for Thanksgiving give me a call. Otherwise, I'll see you on Christmas.

Take care buddy. The website looks great. Hope it brings you and the crew some new business.

Byron
Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Byron,

Thanks for the compliments. I am trying to keep on top of the website by keeping the reports fairly updated and the photos as well. You have definitely set the website bar pretty high.

That bonefish will likely be the largest that I ever catch. I am seriously considering getting a replica of it to admire for the years to come.

I am probably not going to get up for Thanksgiving, but will definitely be up around Christmas. I'll be up to the store for my yearly blitz on the fly tying department. There may be a couple of things that I might have you order before I come up, I will let you know. With the drought I don't think there will be many trees to dig this year, so I think we might do a little hiking and maybe some fishing. I'll see you then.

Drew
Old 10-28-2007, 03:13 PM

Well, I had a tough time fly-fishing this trip due to poor weather and Rough surf. I wasn't able to catch anything on the fly, but I was able to land about a dozen blue fish on a spinning rod. My son cut his foot on some oyster shells which kept me indoors for a couple days. And we had rain almost everyday along with great surfing waves. Oh well, it was better than being at work.