Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Holston at Nances Ferry

I never have tried for the smallmouth on the Holston, heard that this is pretty good water for them this time of year. Question is: How long does it take for the water to rise at Nances Ferry when they flip the switch at Cherokee?

I have a lot of the other tailwaters nailed down pretty good, but this is new territory for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Question Nobody Knows???

Nobody knows how long the water takes to rise here? Come on, surely somebody out there knows? Help a guy out.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Default ? Maybe this'll help! ?

Sorry brother never fished that particular water! You haven't went un-noticed, I just don't think there is alotta people around the board that fish it often enough to give a good answer. Hugh Hartsell is probably gonna be your best bet at an answer. I didn't spend a long time looking through previous post, but use the search option at the top of the page and you might find what your looking for. I found this thread somewhere buried on the forum http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...hlight=holston , I don't think it's what your looking for but it may help you in your trip. 19 miles is a pretty good way, but I can tell you this it takes 5 to 6 hours for water to reach Anderson Co. Jail from the dam which is around 12 miles. But all waters are completely different so please don't take that as an estimate!

I've been interested in fishing this water, but from the looks of things it looks like putting in at it's best wading spot (Nances Ferry), isn't very productive for trout right now! Based on the above listed thread the water has gotten to warm over the summer months to hold trout! Let us know what you've discovered and post back here. Good luck and catch one or two for me, as I can't make it outta the house this week!

Brett
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM

I think it takes about 6-7 hours or so. Hugh or some of the local guides would know for sure. I floated it from indian cave to nances ferry a few weeks ago. The generation was supposed to kick on at 1pm. We were at the takeout around 6:30 pm and it was still low. We drove back up to Indian cave to get my vehicle and the water was up.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Nances Ferry

Backcountry, it usually takes at least 4-1/2 hours for the water to get down to the Ferry. This can vary somewhat according to how much water they are running at any given time. If they are just running 2 generators and the flow is about 7000- 8000cfs, it will take a little longer than if they are cranked up to 18,000 cfs. It's a good idea to be watchful at about 4 hours after they open the turbines up. It just pays to be careful.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 AM

Smile Thanks to everyone...

All,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm hoping to try that area out fairly soon. Good to know how much time I'll have before the water arrives. It is no fun swimming with waders on. Dang near impossible actually!

Thanks again!