Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Just a thinking about the Litter Problem

I have noticed that one of the subjects that gets the most posts on this baord is when the subject of litter is brought up. I was sitting reading "On The Spine of Time" By Harry Middleton. A very good book for people like my self that considers the Smokies more than just a place to float a dryfly, but a place that renews my soul. The one thng that can ruin this for me is the litter.
I have always carried out what I can pick up, as several others have on this board. So I was wondering how many of us would want to get together for a stream clean up once a year. I Believe the Little River Chapter of TU does one every year. Why don't do we another one at a differant time of the year and tie it to a yearly cook out. We could meet at LRO on a staurday moring and break up into teams that would take one section of Little River, then meet back at a central location and have a cook out like we did last spring.
Maybe get some shirts made up that would identify us and let other people know what we were doing. That may lead to having a dicussion with someone that does not realize what thowing a can out the window does to our park.
We can gripe about this as much as we want, and once a year clear up may not make a hugh differance, but if we can change the thinking of a few people thats a small start.
Another project I have dreamed up is to have a small out side display at Sugerlands. This display would be a 10' x 10' fenced in area that contains litter. Of course all the litter would have to be free of food products to keep the wildlife out. Next to this area would be a display board showing the 1/2 live of each product. Every 3 months the litter would be Photographed and weighed and this information would be posted on the display board. Most people don't realize how long litter will last. The pampers that several of us found along Little River is a good example. I first found it in I believe late March, went back 1st week in June, the diaper still looked the same. (still couldn't make myself to pick it up) If people could see that it is not that biodegradable maybe they would think twice about leaving it in nature.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Vern!

I agree with you, I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of garbage in and around TN as a whole. I spend a lot of time in front of my house in Knoxville and even up along my street. The people in my neighborhood don't seem to think it's worth picking up. I like your ideas but I'm worried about the amount of road to cover. I also would like some back country clean up since I have begun to see more and more on upper watersheds. I guess we need to brain storm on this.

I don't know if it would be worth contacting some of the other organizations around this area. There are numerous hiking, outdoor and rafting organizations and I'm sure they would have people as interested in this as we are. I'm not saying we should leave out TU but sometimes if we reach out to other organizations we might make a bigger impact.

The cookout that bugman ((I think?) got started with LRO attracted quite a few people as you probably remember, maybe we should tie it in to another cookout like that?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM

If you need man power, I'm there.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Count me in as well
Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up

I'm in once I get settled in East Tn.

Neal
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Hans, I was thinking about the same thing concerning the backcountry. I was figuring that the more experinced backcountry fishermen could head to the back country but we could only pick one watershed. I am sure that some people would like to stay close to the road. I could contact MTFF and see if they would be intrested in tying it to one of thier outings. I know that the few of us can't make a big differance, but its a start and maybe if the tourist see us it could help them see how important it is to keep our park clean.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Vern:

You are making a noble attempt and I will disagree with you on one point. A few concerned people can make a difference. I would suggest contact LRCTU, the Sierra Club, IFF and any other group that cares about GSMNP and is willing to work to protect it. Establish a time frame and I am sure you will have plenty of wiling volunteers.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM

A complimentary and additional idea would be to get some local sponsors to chip in and help purchase biodegradable trash bags (shopping bag size) in exchange for advertising on the side of the bag. Distribute the bags to the outfitters, fly shops, visitors centers, etc. and have a small display that encourages patrons of these establishments to take a free bag or two and bag their own refuse and any litter they find. Even those who don't take a bag will have a reminder of the litter problem -- and the solution.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Sorry I have been real busy at work so I haven't had a chance to reply. Sounds like this could become a big event. I was thinking along a smaller effort. But with some help this could work. Does anyone know when LRTU has thier annual clean up
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM

I just went to the Little River Chapter of TU web site. They had a clean up on March 24TH of this year. Do we want to join forces with them next year or have our own clean up on a anther date. I am thinking in the fall to clean up after the busy season in the park.