Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow, I like that idea, i could have come up with it first, but you beat me! Haha Any way, I hate Litter, and after my experience with those guys that messed up my fishing, I really think this is good! I just hope I get to go to some of them, depends on what I'm doing. Trash kills animals and fish, pollution is even worse. The smallest little effort can help! The Smokies are the most polluted and trashed mountain range in the U.S., it's a true fact!

Giantfish
Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Count me and LRO Junky in for the fall and the spring.We probably will bring a few others as well.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM

I participated in the last clean up TU did this past spring and it was a good event. I have done several clean ups down on Hiwassee also. I think we should do one in the fall. It builds up over the summer and TU probably have their calendar full. I think sometimes it is necessary to do things outside of organizations. Speaking of organizations, I'm still hoping we can get the FF club going in Knoxville. We had a discussion about it this past spring and we probably need to get the ball going. Anyway, that is another topic.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM

This sounds great and count us in for any support. Three things you need to think about for a fall cleanup: Copperheads, Rattlesnakes and Yellowjackets.
But, the water is usually low. Maybe winter would be better.

Byron
Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
This sounds great and count us in for any support. Three things you need to think about for a fall cleanup: Copperheads, Rattlesnakes and Yellowjackets.
But, the water is usually low. Maybe winter would be better.

Byron
In efforts like this one should always wear snake proof boots (or legging’s) and watch where you put your hands as well as where you are walking. As to the jackets if you do the above you should be able to avoid their nests. Hornet nest are to be avoided as well

Some made fun of my wife and I in some of our work in Coal Creek for wearing the boots, but they afforded a piece of mind to snake bites on the legs. I have seen the size of some of the rattlers that come off that mountain
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Running Wolf,

Good Point. Remember the guy who stepped into a large yellowjacket nest on the Middle Prong a few years ago? He was stung over 100 times and unfortunately he died from the ordeal. I know the doctor who examined him. That doctor told me to get into the stream if that happens because the cold water could reduce the swelling that leads to the shock. Also, it is a good idea to carry an epipen with you in the backcountry especially if you are prone to an alergic reaction to stings. Your physician can prescribe one or two for you to use in a life or death situation.

I hope you and the wife are doing well. Also I hope you are keeping that ax collection tuned and picked.

Byron
Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Running Wolf,

Good Point. Remember the guy who stepped into a large yellowjacket nest on the Middle Prong a few years ago? He was stung over 100 times and unfortunately he died from the ordeal. I know the doctor who examined him. That doctor told me to get into the stream if that happens because the cold water could reduce the swelling that leads to the shock. Also, it is a good idea to carry an epipen with you in the backcountry especially if you are prone to an alergic reaction to stings. Your physician can prescribe one or two for you to use in a life or death situation.

I hope you and the wife are doing well. Also I hope you are keeping that ax collection tuned and picked.

Byron
As I am allergic to bees I always carry a strong antihistamine per the doctor. It will not be long before I have to carry the shot, errrrrrrrrrr.

He is correct on reducing the swelling. It also slows the spread of the venom. The same applies to snake bites as well

I was gutting wood one-day years ago and felt light pricks though my clothing and wondered where the briars come from. I looked down and from my knees to my feet was a crawling mass of yellow. I sat the chain saw down and hit the pond. During the predawn hours of the next morning I went back to get my saw and let the wonders of gasoline do its thing, I found mister skunk had already beat me to the punch. I am sure he was nearly a happy camper as I was.

Yes all the ax’s are being kept in tune and played. However, I am starting to fish a lot of week mornings and hope to start doing some weekend fishing soon. I would be there today but the back and knee are complaining too much

I told my wife we needed to get that way soon; there are a few things I am starting to run low on. Hopefully over the winter or next spring I will glue up the rods that arefinished or nearly finished and then there will be a need to get cork, seats, ferrules, and guides.

The wife is spending lots of times having test performed trying to find out what is causing some of the problems she has experienced for years that have gotten worse. I keep telling her that they will be sending her to a shrink soon as we all know she has to have mental problems for marrying me.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Late Oct or early November? I personaly feel that the first one be a just the message board members but leave a informal invitation to all other orginzations.
Sorry I haven't done a real good job keeping up with this. this has benn an envetfull week for me. First went to my doctor to renew my HBP med and mentioned that my brother just had 6 bypasses. He sent me straight to the Cardio dr who decided for a good measure a stress test is line. Every thing went great, the nurse even told me that I was in great shape for a 46yr pld 220lb fatman. 2nd went home to take a nap before going in to work and checked my messages. "you need to come in as soon as possible, the truss plat caught fire and they need all the mangers here." Glad I got that call before the Stress Test! I have spent the last severl days working trying to get the plant up and Working. We lost all of our robert saws and power to 1/2 the building. But we are cutting the wood the old fashion way and are building trusses. WHAT A WEEK, I NEED SOME GSMNP Time.