Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Barbies aren't just for little girls!

Barbie Bugs that is! I spent the weekend visiting my sister over in middle Tenn. outside of Mcminnville. They have a nice 2 acre pond they built 3 years ago and stocked with gills, bass and catfish. While my dad and nephews were happy to catch plenty of 2 pd cats on worms under a bobber, I was just as happy to C&R at least 40-50 of these gills using a #8 walts popper with a barbie bug dropper about 2 ft under it. I even had several doubles! great weekend to wet a line and visit with all my family.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Default Of Course They Aren't!!!

Being the 'namer' of said fly...I say Barbie Bugs RULE!

Seriously, if anyone is too skeert of pink to use this fly...you are missing out.

Paula
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Gary that sure sounds like it was fun. One little 10 inch smallmouth saved me a "skunking" Friday evening and that's the last chance I got this weekend. Things are looking up a little though with the showers last week and the cooler temps.
BTW, what rod were you using there in the picture? Just curious, I still haven't put that finesse down yet. I've fished it for everything since I went with you.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 AM

Bran, I was using my Diamondglass 8ft. 5wt with an Orvis midarbor 3 reel and Rio Clouser 6wt line. I took my Lamiglass 3wt., but the wind was blowing about 10mph and I started out throwing lead eye brown buggers. I wish more rod manufactures made fiberglass rods, the full flexing actions are so smooth and every fish no matter the size is fun.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM

I'll have to try one sometime, I've never thrown one. After a month I can tell the limitations of my 4 wt throwing the heavier flies. I have picked up my Launch 6 wt. a couple times but the Finesse 4 is too much fun to leave at home, I just enjoy casting it if I don't catch a thing.
I was at a shop in Raleigh last week and started looking at some tying books and mat'l. I told my wife I think the bug is biting me to learn to tie flies now. It would be something fun in the Winter months to make some Helgrammite and crawfish patterns and maybe a few dries for Bream or Trout.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Default barbie bug pictures

May some one please post a link for a barbie bug. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Its probably in the online catalog but this is the ones I tie. #10 or #12 hooks glass beadheads look good on them also.
standard version:

bluegill version:
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Online Catalog

Is that online catalog the General Fly Tying forum or something else?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=941&page=1

Scroll up to the header board for the online cat. button to search. but heres the direct link
Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Bran,
If you really want a good lesson on tying all kinds of flies I would highly recommend the tying classes at LRO. I took all 3 this past winter, and it gave me a great base to tie almost anything I want. Troutman is an excellent fly-tyer, so whatever he recommends I would go with.
-Ben