Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Default One Week Form Now...

One week from now the wife and I'll be in Gatlinburg for a week to fish, photograph, and hike. I have been watching these forums for several weeks and see that you are experiencing the drought we had last year so....where is the best places to fish to get a "true" Smoky Mountain experience. We are not into numbers nor size but would like to catch some of those Brookies.

It looks like yellow and orange are the colors that I have seen posted for drys. Any recommendations on what to see and do otherwise are true;y appreciated. We're not into the tourist thing like in Gatlinburg, so what say you locals?

Thanks so much.

Dan
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Brookies R Us

Ozark,

First of all, what a great game between Arkansas and Alabama!

Your best bet at relatively easy access to brookies is up Highway 441 out of Gatlinburg towards Cherokee. If you go past the Sugarlands park visitors' center (just a mile or two out of Gatlinburg), 7 miles from there is the Chimney Tops trailhead. From that point on up, either in the river following the road or in Road Fork that dumps in right at the trailhead, you are entering brookie territory. Road Fork is almost exclusively brookies; the river along the road is a mixture of brookies and rainbows with the brookies becoming predominant the higher up you go. There are pulloffs where you can access the river at a number of spots if you want to drive/park/fish, drive/park/fish.

If you are into hiking, the Chimney Tops trail is short but rather steep. A couple miles up the road and on the other (left) side of the road is Alumn Cave Trail up to Mt. LeConte. Further up the road past Alumn Cave is Newfound Gap and Clingman's Dome, both spots for some spectacular views if the weather cooperates.

Others may want to chime in with other recommended activities.

Hope you enjoy our mountains and especially our fishing - we're quite fond of both.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Oops

Just noticed that you're from Oklahoma, not Arkansas. My bad! You're probably even happier about football this weekend! Saw Ozarks and assumed Arkansas.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 PM

Cosby is another stream loaded with brookies - a bit of a drive to get to, but fairly easy from Gatlinburg, and once you get there, you'll have the stream to yourself for the most part. Anywhere from the picnic area on up is usually reliable for specs.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Greenbrier

Ijsouth,

That's out Highway 73 from Gatlinburg, correct?

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Cosby not Greenbrier

Dang, I'm having a mis-fire kind of day!

Still out 73 from Gatlinburg, right?

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 PM

That's exactly right...73/321 east out of Gatlinburg. When you get to beautiful downtown Cosby (intersection with TN 32, at the post office), hang a right...the Cosby entrance to the park is around a mile, on your right. If you like curvy roads, you can continue on TN 32 all the way to the far end of the park - eventually, you can turn into the Big Creek area, or get on I-40.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Yep, happy about the OU (alum) game saddened by the OSU game with Troy, and although I have spent most of my life here in central Oklahoma I was born in the Ozarks and own some property in Eureka Springs which was my mom's old home. I am only a about 2.5 hours from the Ozarks and began fly fishing in the White River 20 years ago. Love the hills and trout!

Have you been getting any rain, I hope so.

Dan
Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Rain

We got a bunch of rain last Friday from the remnants of hurricane Humberto. Mt. Leconte had 1.75 inches. This has been/will be a dry week but the water (from this past rain) is up from where it has been during the worst of our drought this summer.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM

Default What to do?

Some other thoughts. Cades cove is beautiful, but get there early, it gets terribly crowded. If you go and want to stop for the wildlife, please use the pullouts. Parson's Branch road has just reopened today after 4 years of being closed from floods. I cuts across a remote part of the park and comes on 129. You might want to check out the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the Slickrock Wilderness while in this area as well, the Poplar cove (giant old poplars, some as large as 9' in diameter) is silently maginificent and stately. If you go left you can follow that road around to 28 (look at a map), pass Fontana Dam (tallest east of the Rockies) continue over Stecoah Gap (might detour into Stecoah as well) to Bryson City, NC then Cherokee, NC. Both are nice little towns, I prefer Bryson City. You will leave Cherokee and head back into the Park heading up toward Newfound Gap, then back to Sugarlands visitor center and Gatlinburg. This would be the better part of a day. You might walk up Deep Creek in BC or check out the Oconoluftee over toward Smokemont once back inside the park. Newfound Gap is beautiful, the views are fantastic. Looking around Elkmont is always fun, there are some really neat old cabins (which regrettably sit empty).
Hope you enjoy your stay.
John