Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Scott S-3 discontinued??????

I understand that Scott is discontinuing it's S-3 line - what do you guys hear?

I have been thinking of buying myself a B-day present for my 60th in April. I'm looking at a 6wt. that I can throw streamers with. I wanted to stay in the $400 range and was thinking of the Sage VT2, I have their 3wt and its a beaut. My fly shop recommended that I go to a faster rod for streamers and suggested the Winston B2X, the Sage Z-axis, or the Scott S-3. I was thinking the Sage VT2 or the SLT (since it's being discontinued), but the guys felt both of those would be too "soft" fro tossing big flies.

If the Scott is being fazed out, then it should fall into my price range. What say you guys - faster rod for streamers and big flies? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

I personally do not like stiff fast rods, but if you are throwing big streamers from a drift boat like a few of the local guides will do to bring up the big fish, then a fast rod is the choice for long 60ft+ cast especially when they are using sinktips. They are also great for a stiff wind. A med size stream like the LR, a fast rod is not necessary. I haven't cast the S3 or the Z-axis ( I do have a sage XP 6wt.) but I really like the G loomis GLX that a local guide buddy uses. Its a rocket!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 AM

I have heard that rumor about the S3. Another fast stick (with feel) is the St Croix Legend Ultra. This rod may feel a touch heavier in hand than the others, but the leveraged weight when casting makes it seem as light or lighter than the others. It really is a cannon and will handle the heavier 6wt lines like the clouser and sink tips.The price is in your range; about $350. It also has a Saltwater version with a fighting butt and snake guides (6wt and under fw rods have single foot guides). I would cast this one too before deciding. The seven weight LU is also a blast to cast/fish and will realy haul them bunny strip zonkers!

AA
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 AM

The S3 series has been discontinued and is being replaced by the new S4's, which are some really sweet rods. The 6 wt S3, is a nice stick especially for throwing streamers. I don't think that it is as fast as some people, certainly not close to the same action as a GLX. With the S3 being discontinued/discounted it should be in the price range that you are looking for and you can't find a better rod.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Scott S3 on Sale!

BuckeyeRick,

I've added the S3 that we have in stock to the Sale Outlet section of our online catalog. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/home.php?cat=755

We have two 6wt's in stock as of 9/20/07.

Keep an eye on the Sale Outlet...as I am going through all the new 2008 catalogs and finding the items that are being discontinued I'll be adding more and more items.

Daniel
Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Thanks D-DRake

I was at my local fly shop when you posted and grabbed the S3 they had. I got to cast it next to a TFO TiCR and the Sage Z-axis. I liked the Scott better than the either of the other two. Thanks for letting me know about your sale. I will keep an eye on that page.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Scott S-3

Excellent streamer or big nymph rod for heavy water. Wish I needed another one!
Best,
John
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Scott Rods

Daniel,
Hey! Are you all still carrying Scott Rods? Or can you order from them if someone wants one?
Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 PM

John,

We can still order the Scott rods if you would like one. Just let me know and I'll make the call.

Daniel
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Never cast an S3, but I have a Scott G2 in 9' 5wt that is one very sweet rod.

Jeff