Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Lefty Kreh's Finesse Series?

Just wondering whether anyone has had any experience fishing rods from this series in the park? I have been looking at the 7'9"- 4 weight and pondering the possibility of buying one for use in and around the Elkmont area. It seems like it would be great for some of those tight areas and being 4 weight it could stand the test if you happened to hook one of those big Browns that many of us only dream about .

Mike
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 PM

I have not fished one in the park, but my fishing buddy has the 8'9" 4wt. and I have thrown it a little in the tailwaters it is a very nice rod. I have messed with the shorter sticks in the shop and they feel just as nice. I fish an Orvis Clearwater 7'9" 5 wt. in the park and absolutely love it. I know that Orvis has a new version of this rod coming out. But If LRO has any of the old ones left I would give it a serious comparison to the Temple Fork. Don't know about the new one.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM

I have one of the 8'9 4wt. Finesse TFO rods I got from LRO back in June.I have only been able to fish the Park with it a couple of times due to water conditions but I have been very pleased.I have fished the Park with a Sage Light Line 7'9 4wt.for over 10 years and wanted to try a little longer rod.My 9 ft Sage 5wt. was just too fast and overpowering.Since I did not want to sink too much money into a second 4wt I tried the TFO Finesse and was very pleased with the action and the quality of the rod.It felt better to me than several more expensive rods I tried.Of course everyone does not have the same casting style or like the same action but for the Park streams I like the slower feel of my Sage Light Line (discontinued) and the TFO Finesse.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM

I have the 7'9 & 8'4 4wts they are very nice rods. But don't be fooled with the word finesse they have plenty of power. I like the 7'9 the best in the mountains. I fish this rod with the cortland 555 4wt dyna-tip alovacdo/sage, this is a great combination. This line is expensive but worth it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM

I don't know about the 4wt, but my daughter and I both have Finesse 2wts - wonderful rods, a joy to cast, and really fun on the small streams.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Thanks for all the input...

I have an Avid in 4 weight, but it's an 8'6" and I tend to like just a little bit shorter rod in some of the tighter spots. I like the 4 weight though for the off chance of running into something my 2 or 3 weight St Croixs might not handle.

Mike
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Default TFO reply

I have a TFO Finesse 7' 9" 4 wt. 4 pc. that I purchased this spring. I have used ~ 100 times so far. I have had it out at Elkmont and other nearby areas many times. The short version - perfect, and when you consider the price - better than perfect.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Default TFO Finesse 2 wt

I have the 7' 3" 2-wt and absolutely love it. I took it with me to Colorado last time and have used it numerous times in the Smokies. I absolutely recommend this rod to anyone who wants an excellent rod for the money. It casts like a dream and has the backbone to fight decent sized fish.

Travis
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM

I have the 8'9" 4 wt. Finesse. I got it from LRO back at the first of August and haven't used anything else since. I had just bought a Sage 6wt. for Bass but have been using the TFO there also. I used it for Brookies in the park in August, Small Mouth Bass in the Roanoke River here at home, LMB in ponds here, and even caught a nice catfish on it last Saturday! Wonderful rod, I love it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Finesse Series

I have a 7'9'' 5wt with a Cortland Sylk line that has proven itself in the park as well as on the tailwaters at home. The Sylk line performs almost like a 4 wt and the rod has plenty of backbone to lob nymphs. I'm sure you will like the 4 or 5 wt-great rods. Barbara at LRO also rigged up an orvis BBS reel for me and it makes a super outfit. Be sure to get the 19.95 rod tube also. All of this ended up being 200 dollars less than a lot of new rods cost without line and reel.