Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Recommendations for this weekend?

My brother is coming up from Atlanta this weekend and wants to fish in the park. I haven't been up there in about a month and don't know if the conditions have improved for the fish. Any recommendations on streams that might have some water? West Prong? Greenbriar? Would it be better to head to the NC side? Maybe best just to hit the Clinch?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Default NC Side

I've fished the NC side a total of three days in the last two weeks. I would reccommend Deep creek or Bradley fork. The water level is up from it's low and the water has cooled down a good bit. The fishing conditions are difficult but managable. I would stay out of the water while targeting fish, they're gonna be pretty easy to spot and then cast or get in the water if needed.

I wish I could give you some good bug suggestions, but I haven't had consistent succes with anything. I've had more refusals from fish this summer than any other time for me.

Good luck.

Mr. Vandalay
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM

I would second the recommendation of the N.C. side, and I would add Straight Fork to the list, if you don't mind a bit of a drive through the Reservation to get to the park waters. As for flies, the last time I was up there the fish seemed to want a little more of a subdued fly; a #18 Mr Rapidan or a yellow Parachute Adams filled the bill - anything too gaudy went hitless. In the interest of full disclosure, that was about a month ago, so I can't speak about the conditions right now.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM

With the water levels like they are in the park, I'd hit the Clich.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll probably give one of the NC streams a try tomorrow and then do the Clinch on Sunday. I'll let you know how we do.