Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Default A Weekend in the Park

I finally had a slow weekend (aka no homework) and took advantage of it by heading up to the park. Here are a few pictures from the weekend...

An Elkmont brown

The water is really low...here's the stream in the campground at Elkmont...

I caught a 12 inch brown here two years ago in this nice "run"...

Ya'll be careful out there, this timber rattler was on LR road just above Metcalf...

Caught lots of beautiful specs over on the NC side...here's a couple...

Yesterday I fished above Elkmont and got into some rainbows and a few more browns. Here's one of the 'bows...

I got to fish one of the new Superfine Trout Bum rods this weekend and all I can say is WOW! These rods are very smooth casting and extremely accurate. Check my blog for more on that soon...

Over the course of the weekend, I spent a lot of time watching fish. There were some big browns out where you could see them and I got some pictures.

This fish is easily over 20 inches...

All in all it was a great weekend!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 PM

PA, really nice looking fish.... sounds like a great weekend........

What flies did you catch them on?

That snake has a big o'head on him..... Watch your step!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM

drkorn, lots of flies picked up at least a few fish. For dries, I caught plenty of fish on the Neversink Caddis in both yellow and orange. Also working were small tan EHC and large orange EHC. For nymphs, as usual a Tellico fooled a few and I also caught some on a dark micro mayfly. There were lots of small (#20-24) dark mayfly nymphs on the rocks in the water and the occasional caddis or yellow stonefly flying around. Biggest hatch on all streams were midges and most I saw looked like a cream probably in the #22-#26 range although I didn't catch any. Of course, a zebra midge fooled a few as well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Thumbs up Great!

PA,

Glad you had some time to get on the water. You make some great pictures. I sure don't want to catch anything like that one picture though. I really hate snakes!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Pretty brookies...not quite in spawning regalia yet, I see. I really want to get a good picture of one like that - hopefully next month.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM

hope I can find the trout next week, hope I don't find the snake
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 PM

hey PA.......what Trout Bum did you try I'm really leaning towards a 3wt and the Trout Bum has peaked my interest for some time now......can you give a few more specifics on the rod you were using...wieght, length, action, likes and dislikes.....

currently using a G Loomis GL3 3wt 3pc for the park .......

thanks for any input
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Nice fish. Thanks for sharing the report. I do not have any particuar fear or dislike for snakes, but that fellow would have made me watch my steps.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Great report as always David, I read your blog as well on this topic. I don't know what your major is, but you definetly right well, easy to read and very insightful. Great pics as well.

Neal
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Buckeyetrouter, I fished the 8' 4wt 4 piece rod (midflex, a 6.0 on the Orvis rating scale). It is probably one of the best all around rods I've fished in the park and would actually do nicely on just about any water here in Tennessee. I felt it was one of the best rods I've fished mainly because it can do so much. Over the course of the weekend, I fished everything from small dries to heavily weighted nymphs and even weighted streamers up to #4 (mainly just to see how the rod would perform). It did great with all of those and was one of the most accurate rods I've fished. Because of the low water, a lot of my casts this weekend were anywhere from 15-30 feet and the fly had to be placed in very small pockets. The Trout Bum consistently allowed me to place the fly within inches of where it needed to be in those fairly short situations that are the rule when fishing the park. The rod is fast enough (not really fast but much more so than the "old" superfines) however, to lay out some line and be useful in just about any situation. It was extremely light as well and would be perfect paired with a BBSII or some other light reel... I just used my original Battenkill and it did fine also...

Oh yeah, these rods really look nice as well...

If you already have a 3wt, I would urge you to consider something different unless you also have several 4wt rods. A 4 wt Trout Bum would be useful in more situations than a 3wt and if you hook a big brown, that extra backbone might mean the difference in landing the fish...

I'm already trying to figure out how to come up with some $$$ to get one of these rods, they are that much fun to fish!!!