Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Carp'n

I went out and fished today expecting to be catching bream and the occasional bass. I realized once on the water my gear and dreams did not match up. So, in my explorations of the lake I found a nice flat loaded with carp. I have only caught carp when chumming them up. I took the challenge which was a little frustrating. It finally paid off though.

The carp measured right at 20 inches and was a fun fight. I plan on going back out Tuesday morning for some more fishing. I might try the carp thing again if I think my patience can take it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Nice! So are you saying it took alot of casting or they were really spooky? I want to learn more about this also, there are a couple of places I see Carp in the shallow flats. I thought I had one Sunday afternoon, I saw fish turning up mud on a flat about a foot deep. I cast a little green jig to them, one took, and we were off. The fish went to deep water immediately and hugged the bottom, I couldn't turn him up with the fly rod. 20 long minutes later I got my first look at a 3 pound Channel cat. I had caught a Large Mouth about 30 minutes earlier that would have passed 6 pounds and she didn't fight like that catfish did. Do the carp make long fast runs like bonefish or strong slow runs?
Will they hit most small jigs or nymphs? Just wondering, I'm going to give them another try. Again nice fish! Tight lines--Bran
P.S. I didn't get a pic Sunday I forgot my camera! I remembered it yesterday and returned to the same place. All I could get to take were some small Bream and Crappie. Such is life!
Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM

They are extremely spooky. getting near enough to them to make a decent cast is step one. Then you have to make a cast that does not spook them. If they are feeding on top they seem more willing to take a fly. When they are feeding on the bottom you really have to entice them. I used a crawfish pattern yesterday, but today I was using a more soft hairy/buggy type of fly. They did not seem as spooky today as yesterday (I think I'm getting better). I have a small boat that I just pole across the flat. I had three hook ups today. They make very hard runs and you better have your drag set right. If I can I am going to post the video of the one that broke off today. I honestly have to say that I get an adrenaline rush by sight casting to the carp.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Default more

Here are some pictures from today. Below is going into one section of the flat that I have been fishing, scales from a miss, and a link to a video. The fish in the video broke my leader (3x) as I was getting him in the boat. The video is not the greatest quality and I probably should have been spending more time landing the fish. I just like playing with the camera.
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=IMGP1609.flv

Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Looks like a good time, I love catching carp. Go up to a 2X flouro tippet and use a cover scent on the fly.
It can be found in most grocery stores in the spice aisle! Imitation Banana extract. Just dip the fly in the bottle and cast it upcurrent. It covers the human odors from your hands.
Might be able to go this weekend FT.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. The water I am fishing in might as well be stagnant. This has caused me to really work on my cast.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM

There is a difference in the fight between a Cat and a Carp. Carp is a dead straight away run whereas a Cat will zig zag through the water as a result of the wide sweeping motion of the head. The flies I use for Carp are the same that I use for Cats. Top colors are brown, tan, and olive. A few pics of the flies and fish.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624

fly fishing for carp is really fun and an upcoming adventure. i like to go out every other weekend to try to find some to hook in to. it is a blast to see one suck up the fly and take off with ur reel buzzing.
I might be able to help u out a little here Bran
"Do the carp make long fast runs like bonefish or strong slow runs?"

Whe u hook into them they will have a slow run until they notice they are hooked then they will run like crazy a couple of times so i suggest at least 150 yds of backing

"Will they hit most small jigs or nymphs?"
I have never tried throwing jigs at them but it sounded like u had some luck.i am now tryin to make up a few variations of my own to throw at them but the most effective flies i have found are Barr's Damselfly Nymph, Clouser Swimming Nymph, and Whitlock's BH Rubber Legged Fox Squirrel Nymph

Hope that helps out
Tight Lines-

Justin
Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 AM

Justin, That does help. I'll look into getting ahold of some of those flies. Sounds like you need to have your game plan together before those things take, figure out how much area you have to play him and what structure you need to keep him away from etc. I'd love to learn more about it, I thought I had one at first the other day but it turned out a nice channel catfish. It took me 20 minutes to play him though.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Default A couple more Carp flies

They are a fun and frustrating fish to catch. I have been fortunate enough to hook 5 on my 3wt, now that's a fight and a half. Dailey624's recommendations are all good, and here's another couple of Carp flies that I have had success with.

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...bead-head.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...-carp-fly.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...-crayfish.aspx