Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Default smallmouth bass

hopefully this weekend i can take a trip to the harpeth with the yaks and try to catch some smallies. any info on fly patterns or places to fish and park will be greatly appreciated
thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM

We fish the Harpeth several times a year, although it has been several months since we last did. I seem to always end up using large, weighted buggers, usually olive (I usually try to match the stream bottom's color), although sometimes I use white or black. I have a feeling it may be very, very low, unless a good amount of rain falls in the watershed this week. Even if it is low, hopefully you don't mind getting out of the yak and dragging sometimes.

If you want to just use one vehicle, the Narrows of the Harpeth is a fine resource. You get a 4 mile float, and when you are done, you just walk a few hundred yards back to your vehicle. The Harpeth has a lot of good floats, but that one is a good one to start with, although pretty heavily trafficked.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Default size

what is the average size of the smallies
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM

The Harpeth is probably not the best smallmouth stream around, but it'll do, especially once you throw in convenience. What is the average size? Well, the average I bass I catch is about 12 inches, though if you use poppers, you'll get more smaller ones. I probably catch a 15 incher about 2 out of 3 trips. I also only fish about 2 hours a trip when doing the Narrows, since the wife gets bored with me, and since we've done that stretch so many times.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

snaildarter,
where is the better smallmouth streams that hold good size smallmouth around here
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 PM

If by here, you mean Nashville, then I don't think that there are many really blue-ribbon streams that are very close by, although a lot of them do have smallies, and sometimes good numbers with good size. The Harpeth really isn't that bad. If you want better chances at bigger fish, you'll need to spend a lot of time on a particular water to learn it. For example, other parts of the Harpeth have some better fish, just because those parts are less accessible, and get less pressure. If you really want to fish in a measurably better place, then you might want to drive to the Buffalo River (almost anywhere on it) or Duck River (the many miles above Columbia).

With this many people around Nashville, and with all the extensive farming outside of Nashville, if you want good chances at good fish, you've got to do some work, whether that means finding some place that's harder to get to (a lot of the smaller creeks/rivers have good fish, but aren't really kayak-friendly, and have lots of private landowners to contend with) or just learning a stream really well. Nashville just doesn't have an equivalent to something like the New River in VA/WV, or even something like the Pigeon around Pigeon Forge.

If you are just wanting a big smallmouth, then you can always try traditional bass tackle in some of our lakes, like Priest. But that is a whole different ballgame than flyfishing streams.

Good luck!