Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Default upper Deep Creek

Camped at 53 over the weekend and caught lots of little brookies, browns and rainbows. Check out the big brookie that was just over 12"... http://www.flickr.com/photos/9171401...57602225521443

It was a beautiful weekend, good temps, and the water level was fine. Wet-waded the whole time and we never saw another person fishing. Caught every fish on size 14 and 16 rubber-leg parachute adams (purchased at LRO) on 6x fluorocarbon. I used a 3 wt. 7' Diamondglass and a 4 wt. 8'4" Scott G2. Next time on upper Deep Creek I'll only bring the Diamondglass for the tight casting and the quicker loading.

Last edited by marktronic; 10-02-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 PM

wow! beautiful fish!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Awesome report and fish! That is a very special fish...congrats for a job well done...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Wow! Thats a beautiful speck. I'd be proud of that one for sure. Bigger then any of the rainbow's or browns I've caught and that's including tailwaters.
You've got to let me in on some of those secrets.

Sounds like you had a great camping experience. Never been to Deep Creek before but I always hear other anglers speak of it with a big smile on their face.

Tight Lines,
Chad
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Left Fork

Did you make it over to the Left Fork?

That was a very nice Brookie!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM

That is one fine brookie, and the rest of the pictures are quite nice as well. Thanks for posting.

How was the water level?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Nice fish!

Nice, nice, nice fish. If I ever catch a wild brookie that big out of the Smokies, I'll be proud.

I have to ask... Did that big fish come from the Park? It looks somewhat like a stocker, especially looking at its huge size and that gill deformity. Just wondering!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 PM

PeteCz: We scouted the Ridge Fork trail and saw no easy way down to the Left Fork. The trees and brush were really thick and the slope was steep. You could barely hear the sound of the creek which further convinced us that it was too far and that the water level might of been too low. We also saw the old/illegal campsite you mentioned in your Deep Creek report; it did look pretty nice...not that I'd ever consider staying there...

Brownhunter: The water level seemed fine, the springs crossing the trail were all wet and muddy. Only a real local would even know that the Deep Creek area of the Smoky's was in a drought.

Snaildarter: The brookie was caught between #53 and #54. There is no deformity on the fish that I could tell, it's just laying at an awkward angle.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 PM

What a quality fish...you have to know that was an old fish, in brookie terms - hardly any parr marks at all.

I would like to start exploring some areas of the park that are a bit more isolated - it's tough, because I usually have the kids with me, but perhaps if I get to make a solo trip up there next year - I have a couple of areas in mind, Deep Creek being one of them.

Last edited by ijsouth; 10-01-2007 at 08:53 PM..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Wow

Awesome! And congratulations. I'll probably will never have to worry about catching a native southern brookie that large. It sure looks bigger than 12 inches!