Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Pigeon River

I drove up Sunday and fished the Pigeon. Exited at the Hartford ? Hart-something exit (where most of the white water people are). I had no luck, but that was my experience. I met a guy from Sylva (his first trip as well) and he had whacked'em pretty good that morning, three fish over 15". I am speaking of smallmouth. He was nice enough to give me a streamer he was using. About a size 4 maybe 2 olive bugger with long marabou tail and some of the long varigated rubber legs.
If you read this; nice to meet you Ben! I owe you a fly. If you have some spikes for your boots take them, it is slick as Abrams!
The water was clear and low, still alot of water, I think I heard 400 cfs. Deep holes, wade carefully.
Best,
John
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Hartford area

Hey John, We never did get to fish together this summer. Smallies are still on! One other piece of advise for everyone if you fish that area.... Keep within site of your vehicle if possible. The area is known for vehicle chop shops!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Default abrams

Hi John,

Don't know if you caught my Abrams post, but if you've been avoiding Abrams for a while, next cool snap you might want to give it a shot. The slickness seems almost gone. Someone of your skills might actually have a chance at some of those larger fish. I don't know if Abrams has been that way for a while now (it had been years since I had been there), or if it is just a one-time thing related to the drought. But it was so much better than it used to be. I only stumbled about twice, which for me is pretty good. It was easy to tell the slick spots by the color and texture of the rocks' surfaces.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Hartford and Abrams

Troutman,
No we didn't and where did summer go? Can't say I'm sorry to see it go this year, but this may be the first! We do still need to hit some smallies.

Snaildarter,
I need to try Abrams, I will find your posting.
Here is my email if you have a little more detail it would be appreciated.
jswitow@hotmail.com

About the Hartford Rd area, not too many people waived back, didn't seem very friendly and I could have built a car from the parts in the river. Probably best to heed Troutman's advice.

Tight lines,
John
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
T
About the Hartford Rd area, not too many people waived back, didn't seem very friendly and I could have built a car from the parts in the river. Probably best to heed Troutman's advice.

Tight lines,
John
Watch it, man - you're talking about my new neighbors .

All kidding aside John...I've read a lot about the shenanigans that have gone on in Cocke County over the years - you could change a few names, and it could seem like any one of a number of Louisiana parishes. There were quite a few chop shops in the area, before the feds moved in.