Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Default New rod.

I am thinking of getting a new pole. My Orvis has been good to me and I will always need it because its my 5 weight rod, but I would really like a 2 or 3 weight probably a 2. Any recommendations on a good rod and reel? If possible I would like to keep it on the underside of 400-500 dollars. The lower the better. Just need some ideas on what to look at. Also another concern if it is short and a fast rod will that make it super hard to cast?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I was in the exact same positon about a year ago - Orvis 7'6" 5wt. 2 piece, and looking at lighter weight rods for the tighter mountain environment. I ended up with a St. Croix Avid 8' 3 wt. 4 piece that Daniel matched up with an Orvis BBS II. Great setup for less than $300 - line included. The only downside is that it's not real good for nymphing. Not quite enough backbone.

Gerry
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Default I have both...

...an Avid 2 weight and a St. Croix Legend Ultra (older version) in the 3 weight. They are both excellant rods and fun to fish in the park.

The Legend Ultra in the 3 weight does have a bit more backbone for throwing dropper rigs or small streamers. It is also nice in the event that you happen to hook into any larger than expected fish in the park.

Mike
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Best suggestion would be to go out to LRO and have one of the guys show you a few rods. I will be doing the same within the next few weeks.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 PM

Default reply

south fork rod co ---makes a 3wt fiberglass hand made by David Redington for about 285.00---he will sign them,put your name on them etc--they are great rods see the south fork rod co web site----
Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Default PS to reply

south fork makes a 6'6" fiberglass 2 wt not a 3 wt---These rods are made by David Redington founder of Redington Rod Co---SF Rod Co. is in Florida and the rods are made in USA-the company employs David and his wife---a company of 2
Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Default ps again

Winston makes an awesome 5 peice 2 weight LT---It is pricey---Hard to beat St Croix rods for value---my friend Hal has a 3wt---it is not an Avid but is the next rod above it--thinking about 300.00-----Scott's fiberglass rods are great---they are pricey as well---about 450.00 I think
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Try casting one of the new Superfine Trout Bum rods...they are really sweet!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM

My buddy has a TFO 8ft 2wt that i've fish and i like it alot, a good reach and dob rod. and the orvis battenkill is hard to beat. that set would run under $250. hope this helps
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 PM

You're probably going to get as many opinions as there are rods out there. The Sage SLT is being discontinued and there are some very deep discounts out there right now. LRO had one but not sure if it's still around there.

I just picked up a 7'6" Sage SLT in 3wt and it is one SWEET rod. It's in your price range. I teamed it up with an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock (BBS) II reel that a friend was selling. What a sweet outfit.

I've also test cast the Orvis Trout Bum in the same configuratin and it was very nice as well. LRO I know has them.

Another rod worth testing is the Scott G2.. I have a G2 9' 5wt and will not be selling or trading it off. It is my "go to" rod.

Jeff