Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Tellico Area

Does any one know if there is any water in the Tellico area? I'm not talking about fishing but hunting. i plan on taking my Brittany spaniel down there this weekend to run him some. Then i plan on grouse hunting there next weekend. The forecast is for temperatures in the 80's this weekend and next. That means that I need to be hunting close to a creek so the dog can cool off. Is there any water there that would serve for that purpose?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM

We camped up on bald river last weekend and there was plenty of water, but you could tell it was down, the Tellico was down significantly but still running , North river was down also but still had water according to one of my friends.
Tellico was scary low, I wonder if they will limit their stocking for the DH season

There will be plenty enough water for your dog on one of those 3 rivers, don't know about any others

please report back on your hunt and the water conditions, I've been curious about the grouse hunting up there ad which forest roads might be open
Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 AM

As far as I know, all the roads are opened to grouse hunting. There is something about hunting during quota big game hunts if you're on a bear reserve. I'm not exactly sure where the bear reserve is though.

If the bald River has some water in it then I'll be fine. plus the forecast changed and now the high will be in the 60's and lows in the 40's this Saturday. WOOO WHOO
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM

I might not be answering your question about the bear reserve, but I would find out where that reserve is because from my time hunting Cherokee I know those rangers have 0 sense of humor for anyone they find with a gun of any sort in the reserve. They are even strict about people driving threw the reserve with their guns while doing other hunting.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM

The hunting guide gives a good description of the area but it takes a map and a compass to figure out the boundaries. i don't think I'll be in it though but you're right and I need to check carefully before I go.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default Grouse!?

So are there a lot of grouse up there at tellico? I hunted them last year at royal blue because i was told they had alot as well. I didnt see a single one... Anyway, i would love to go somewhere and actually have a chance at seeing some birds. I live about 25 minutes from the entrance to the cherokee forest at tellico, and if they actually have grouse up there i would be exstatic, i bet jack my lab wlould be too. Let us know how you do.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM

I've probably seen a dozen grouse in all of east tennessee in three years of hunting for them. I've never seen any at the spot i'm probably going to go to this weekend. I've heard that Tackett Creek is a great spot for grouse but i've never been there and I'm not 100% sure where that is. Big South Fork is supposed to be another good spot, but I've never been there and don't know of a particular place to go there. Kind of hard to find a good place and if you ask someone to give you just a little hint of where to go they'll say, "hunt the shadows" or some nonsense like that.

I'll post a report when i get back. i can probably already write it.

"Dog was enthusiastic. Nice to be out in the woods again. No grouse seen, heard or shot at.'

or it might go, "Dog work was pretty good. Heard one grouse flush about 100 yards out. Saw one grouse as it cleared the far ridge. Duke pointed one, i flushed it, unloaded my gun at it and didn't hit a darn thing.'

Last edited by russ; 10-10-2007 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 AM

See the hunting report here;
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...3855#post43855