Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Default fly line

I bought a fly reel at a yard sale---Is there a formula or rule-of-thumb that measures the size of the fly line--5wt,7wt?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Yes

Reel type, reel size, and weight (not line wieght but reel weight). All of those factor's stacked up against your rod. What type of reel you got? It may help to do a google search of it and see if you can find out what model it is. From there you should be able to determine line weights. Generally most reels are designed to fit three spectrums of weights ie; 3,4,5 to 6,7,8 to 9,10,11,12. All of those determine the species of fish you'll be fishing for and how much backing will be neccesary as well as to accompany the room for a larger fly line! Less backing of course is needed for trout than for bass than for tarpon. So all reels are designed for a species and are usually weighted to accompany rod size and counter balancing the tip! Putting several reels on your rod and testing that factor make make for less stress on your arm and shoulder at the end of the day.

Hope that helps!
Brett
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Line weights

The line designation itself is determined by the weight in grains of the first 30 (?) ft of the fly line. A fly shop usually has a scale that will measure in grains, and can quickly tell you what line it is.

sb
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Lauxier and Steve

Ok! So I totally misread the question as it is so obviously stated above in my earlier post. So thank you Mr. Baker for your quick reply and giving this gentleman a good answer. Boy, I feel dumb! I will, however, leave my earlier post up for someone who was wondering what lines go on what reels and why! I'm sure that's a question I was wondering when I got started not all that long ago!

Thanks again Steve and Lauxier sorry for the mis post!
Brett
Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 AM

What's this "Mr Baker" stuff? You been talking to someone who knows how old I am

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM

lauxier,

We have a scale here that the shop that allows you to weigh the first 30' ? and it gives you a close estimate of the line weight. But I don't use it. On Sunday a fellow and his son came in with a reel, loaded up with line and wanted to buy a rod to match it. He thought it was a 3 wt or 4 wt. We did what I always do, put the reel on some rods and make a few casts. That is the best method I know of.

Steve,

I know just about how old you are. You're not as old as me. Or, you have aged well. I guess we've known each other about 25 years. They go by fast.

Byron
Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Byron - It has been a while buddy! Truth is, I think I have a couple of years on you if I remember correctly.

sb