Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Default A question for Byron........

Byron,
Some time back, I remember you making some comments on here to someone about one of your trips to the West Yellowstone area during a fall trip. I believe you said you were fishing the Madison river , for fall run browns. A couple of us are leaving the 19th and are going to spend the first four days in that area. Just wondering if you had any advice or tips on any areas you remembered that you would or would not try again. I keep hearing that the Barns Hole area is a good bet, the better fish coming up out of Hebgen lake. We are going to float from Varney down to Ennis as well. The word is that the browns have already started to move with the winter weather they just got hit with. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom !

mstone
Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 AM

Post Suggestion

mstone,

Sounds like you are in for some good fishing. I have never been there this late but have always had good success fishing the Madison in the Park.
Suggest you stop by Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone and inquire about where and what to fish. Those guys are very helpful and have always given me good info.

Good luck. Post a report when you return.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM

I haven't fished during that time but from what I have read, fishing the lower Gibbon and lower Firehole and down around the Junction Pool where the Madison forms is all supposed to be pretty good. The Firehole above the Cascades is supposed to be fishing well with good hatches also but the fish won't be as large...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

I have fished the Madison (inside the park) in late October. Barns Hole is a good area to get in the river. Another access upstream called "The Dump" requires about a one mile hike through the woods is even better. Less pressured and lots of good water. The river snakes back and forth and provides lots of undercut banks and holding areas for the fall run browns. You can spend several days in this area. A 6-7 wt rod to throw big black egg sucking leech streamers #6 and larger and large heavily weighted girdle bugs on 2x tippet is the common practice.
If you time it just right, another place to try is Lewis Lake outlet. It flows out of the lake down to the Falls. The browns stage at the outlet for a short time before spawning and then return to the lake for winter. Park at the boat ramp and walk down the left bank about a half mile to the outlet.
Fishing right below Gibbon falls is good also. The browns run all the way up to it. A girdle bug high sticked around the boulders is recommended.
The rainbows and big whitefish are also gorging themselves during this time. I caught countless 20-25" bows and 18" whitefish. Wish I could go!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Troutman knows how to fish that area in the Fall. I like fishing the Madison from the Madison Junction Campground down to the 11 Mile hole. That is the first pulloff downstream from the campground I think, then walk a little ways downstream. Weighted Girdle Bugs and weighted Prince Nymphs work well there. Use big ball strike indicators 7' to 9' above your flies.

Also, fish up in the Gibbon from the campground using Girdle Bugs along the banks. Walk soft. The big browns can detect you if you are not quiet. The undercuts on the banks go way back under where you are walking. Cast the Girdle bug upstream and as close to the bank you are standing on as you can. I wouldn't use a strike indicator there. Like Troutman said, 2X tippet.

The Lewis Lake outlet can be excellent. However, the last time I was there the water was too low. At other times they have been in there wall to wall. Take several pairs of fleece gloves and some of those chemical hand warmers that you can buy at Home Depot.

Hope this helps.

Byron
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Madison River

You can access Blue Ribbon Trout Flies web page, they post a weekly newsletter and fishing report. It also has an archived section from last year.

Hal
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Thanks......

Thanks Byron, and everyone else that offered up some help! That gives me some other options for sure. We hope to hit it right for the big browns, but if not, the scenery will make up for any slow fishing. The Madison range has gotten a good dumping of snow. The area here is one of my favorites and will be a good start for this trip. More trout than tourist too I suspect!

mstone
Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Default something to look forward to....

These picts were the pre digital era

Gibbon Falls: Heavy tippets to keep them out of the timber

results!

somewhere upstream of Barns Hole, no one else around

Plenty of nice bows in the tailouts

And some good browns

Egg sucking leech

good company

Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks Troutman!,
great pics....as if I'm not pumped enough already. I hope to bring back some good shots as well. Posting pics on here will be another matter altogether. May have to have some coaching on that.
mstone