Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Building my first fly rod...

To the experienced rod builders (and other interested members of this board)...

I'm getting ready to build my first rod. What can I do to ensure that I will have a smooth, glossy-clear finish on my wraps? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any specific products/brands/finishes that you would recommend?

Tight lines,
Grousegunner
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Default rod building

Grousegunner,

Rod building is a rewarding and addictive hobby. Just about any kind of rod finish should work fine. Make sure to take your time when wrapping and applying finish. Apply just enough finish to coat the threads, no more. I like to use flex-coat lite, but that is my preference. With this product you need to apply about 2 or 3 coats to get the desired results.

There are different ways to dry the finish. You can turn the rod by hand, setting a timer for 15 minutes or so, and turning the rod 90 degrees when the timer goes off. Or you can buy or build a rod turner. Either way works fine.

It's not that hard, and your first rod will come out fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM

For my last two rods, I've used ThreadMaster. I like it much better than FlexCoat, but that's just me.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks guys!

I already purchased the Flexcoat Lite finish, so I think I'll use that this time. I'll try to post some pictures when I'm finished.

Grousegunner
Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM

you could get a rotissorie motor from a bbq grill makes a good drier. and do not use to heavy flex coat on wraps to much buildup worst than not enough.sometimes less better than more. consider down locking reel seats i still like them better they are not used any more i wish rod manufactors would give a few options on high rods.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re

FlexCoat Lite is not all that light so use sparringly! There is a way to thin it out but have forgotten....Best thing I can reccomend is practice on a Wal Mart cheap spinning rod!!!! It will make all the difference in the world! Trust me! I know from experience! ThreadMaster does make a Lite brand that is supposed to be a whole lot better...It's actually thiner and lighter! Be carefull buying packages via certain dealers! I won't mention which ones....They sent mine and I had to call because they forgot the cork! Then after recieving the cork in an attempt to build the rod I realized I didn't have enought guides! I was not a happy camper as you can imagine! When buying your rod, find the blank you want, call the distributer and have them put the peices of the puzzle together....What I'm getting at is don't buy a kit! Because there apparently packaged by someone who really doesn't care...

When coating your wraps a light bulb can be your most forgiving friend! Holding it neer a heat source will allow bubbles to escape! You'll never get them all out! Flex Coat also reccomends placing the two part solution in a pot of water and heating the pot to release the bubbles!!! This is frustrating when you mix the two part solution, because your basically undoing what you just spent five minutes over the range doing! Make sure you have a good turner around 7rpm or so should do the trick!

Make sure you have plenty of room to manage your work until the rod is dried!!! Make sure you coat all your wraps at once!

Also you can grap some 1/4" painters tape (the blue stuff used for detail work) and tape off 1/8 to 1/4'' past your guide wrap on the blank. Lay your two part solution and that way you don't have to worry about and un-even gloss coat! Just peel the tape after you've aloud it to start the set up process and remove (about a minute or two). This will make for those perfect finish coats!

Hope all this helps! It was interesting wrapping my first rod! I just trashed it last week, the rod had a horrible bend in the tip...I delt with that idiot enough, I didn't feel like getting my money back or sending it back!

~Brett