Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Default How does the spawn effect the fishing?

I understand that the Brown Trout will be spawning soon and I was wondering how that effects the fishing? When do they spawn and where? What flies do they take during the spawn? When do the various species spawn? What should or, should not be done to bother them - or does it not bother them? Or is this topic tabooo?

Last edited by LROjunky; 10-10-2007 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Lack of response
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM

I keep expecting someone with better credentials to answer this question. I suggest that you talk to the folk at LRO. However, the browns and brookies spawn in the fall, late October/November, and the rainbows spawn in the Spring, late February/March. Somebody else may want to chime in on those dates? The main thing that I mention to anyone who is talking about fishing during the spawn, is be careful where you wade and do not walk thru the redds, prepared by the fish. I fish mostly on the South Holston Tailwater, and TWRA closes the primary spawning areas. I do not spend as much time in the mountain streams during that time of the year but I do not think that the spawning areas are as easy to spot as they are in the tailwaters. Some people think that you shouldn't fish for spawning fish (another debate?). In the mountains there are so many streams and such little fishing pressure that I believe most folks would agree that we (fisherpeople) have little impact on the spawning, especially if you are careful with your wading. One thing about the spawn, especially the browns, you will see fish that you haven't seen before. If you use stealth you can sneak up on some pretty big browns, that are normally hiding in a much more concealed location than they are this time of year. But if they see you first the can still "disappear".
Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Personally I would never, fish for a spawing fish in the park. Especially if it was a large spawning fish. We need to keep those big fish genes in the park. I urge everyone to not fish for any trout that might be on a redd. Pre-Spawn and post-spawn are all game. This year it will be especially important as the fish are already very stressed due to low water and high temps.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM

I tend to agree that it is best to leave spawning fish alone. But, I see no reason to stop fishing, I just wouldn't target those fish. I don't know how easy that may or may not be in the mountain streams. On the South Holston the spawning fish are real easy to find and there are a lot of people who specifically target them. In the park there are plenty of streams that have a predominately rainbow population, just spend your time there during the fall spawn. I will say this, those spawning brown are fun to watch. I make a trip every year to a friends property to just observe the spawning browns on the South Holston (no fishing equipment) and it is amazing to watch. These fish can be scene jumping on a regular basis and they will roll-up onto the rocks so that most of their bodies are out of the water. My brother has gotten some pretty amazing pictures of brightly colored fins and tails out of the water. I've never really thought about it, but I've never had a desire to fish for these fish, I have simply watched in amazement. I have taken some non-fishing friends out and most of them agree that it is one of the most amazing things they've ever seen.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Yeah I'd never suggest to stop fishing! I go crazy if I haven't wet a line in a week. Ditto on the footage, I got some amazing footage of a brown last year and plan on doing some more this year. Good Hunting.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee