Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Fly line color in the park?

If I take a quick look in my fly box I would assume that fish can see in color - or do they. Anyway, the reel question is what color of fly line are people using and why. What are the pro's and con's? Is it just to appeal to us humans - I personally like blue, but it clashes with my green rod? Is it just to make it easier for us to see the line? I personally do not have a problem seeing my line whatever color is, so I was looking for a Trouts perspective. Are there any Trout out there willing to help me pick a fly line color that appeals you.

As long as I asking about fly lines - what is the deal with the triangular tipped lines I have seen at LRO.

Thanks for any help - I need it.

Last edited by LROjunky; 10-10-2007 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: grammar - I caught some of them
Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 AM

I would be interested in reading some scientific documentation that trout can see in color!

I use the Wulff TT line and have it in a 4 wt. Mine is ivory white. The sage, or olive color, just flat out disappears (for me) on the Caney. I suspect the triangle has to do with the weight forward taper as I am fairly confident that the line appears round.

Interesting topic on the color though? My friend at the shop tells me that red is the first color, filtered out of the light prism, by water. The deeper the water, the more "filtration of light" takes place. I may have to go to the indoor heated pool with my fly box and lay on the bottom for awhile

"As white light passes through a column of water it is progressively absorbed – the deeper we go the less light can penetrate. The longwave light (red) is absorbed first and is virtually non-existent at around 12-15 ft so that any red materials in a fly will appear to be black at this depth. Orange survives to about 25- 30 ft. and so on until at about 60-70 ft. only blue light penetrates. These are approximate figures typical of very clear water illuminated by bright sunshine- the light penetration will obviously be less in dirtier water or in low light conditions. As an example, in a rising spate river with a high level of suspended solids, red light would disappear only a few inches below the surface." by Dave Wallbridge: without permission

Last edited by Realtyman; 10-11-2007 at 01:18 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM

I personally do not believe that fly line color matters. When fishing the park I used tan or buckskin colored flylines and did alright. Others swear by olive colored lines feeling that they cut down on the amount of "flash" coming from the line.

I feel that trout or any other fish should not see the flyline because in reality the fly line should never go over a targeted fish's head or line of sight. No matter the color, most lines are opaque and thus can be seen from below when silhouetted. Only the leader should ever be in a place that a fish could see it.

Much like the right hand vs. left hand retrieve debate, this is one that people will likely feel strongly one way or the other. Just use what you like. Or try using a clear Monic fly line if it is really a great concern.

Drew
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Yes many fish see color, some don't(catfish I think do not). Some species can see many more shades of color than humans can. Some can only see shades of white and grey. Color matters for food and probably mating.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

I don't know that the color of your fly line matters, but I figure why chance it. Therefore I use olive colored lines. I think, as pointed out earlier, that care in presenting the fly so that the fish never sees the line is most important. Also I would suggest that you be very aware of shadows, both yours and your lines when casting. Interestingly, the new Sharkskin line from SA, is suppose to reduce line flash.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:04 PM

I saw the new Sharkskin line from SA at the retailer show in Denver. It does seem to have less flash than some of their other lines. The only thing is the only color that I saw at the show was a flourescent chartruese. Some other fly lines out there also seem to have less flash, namely the Airflo Ridgelines.

Drew