Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Default question for LRO

Bo came into the store today,he is a stockbroker,home for a day or two.He was telling me,Fishpond,maker of vests,etc. is a highly profitable company that is growing by leaps and bounds,in fact their sales are twice their competitors--I've noticed Fishpond products have a LOOK to them(colors,layout etc.).Just looking at them,they seem to have quality--Does the Fishpond people really make their line of gear or are they contracters who design then contract the actual making of their products to other companies-I guess what I am asking is--I realize their products are probably made somewhere other than whereever they call home,does the design of their products come from under their home office roof?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM

lauxier,

Fishpond is privately owned and was founded by Dave Thompson and John Le Coq. Dave and his wife live in Kansas City and John lives in Colorado. They are friends who decided to start the company and they brought their first offering to the fly fishing market in 2001. At that time it was just some tools and maybe a chest pack. The first thing that caught my eye back then was their packaging. Dave and John design all their products in house, do their own photography and design their graphics. They actually draw the product on a sheet of paper. The products are made overseas or at least most of them are. Distribution to US dealers is from Kansas City. Distribution in Europe is handled by Hardy. We work with Dave. We are one of their larger dealers and they are one of our larger vendors. If you go to their website you will see about ten dealers, us being one of them where you can buy their products online. Just click on our logo and you will go to our Fishpond Store. They have experienced huge growth since 2001. I have their new product catalog and and product images DVD on my desk now. Last year they could get all the photography on a CD. This year...DVD. They have a lot of new products and they have updated a lot of their current line. We will start adding the new products to our online catalog next week and offer them for sale even though we won't get most of it until November. Our customers will be able to pre-buy and we will give them an approximate delivery date. You are going to be impressed. They are also making branded products for another fly fishing company this year. They are some talented folks. We order to restock from them every Monday. We have it on the shelf by Friday. For some reason, England has been one country that has customers buying quite a bit from us online. Seems odd since Hardy is in England. As a company they have been able to manage their inventory and pipeline so we can almost always get product immediately. We love Fishpond! They are the first company to get photography to us for the Holiday season. That tells me something about the company.

Does Bo have information that they may be going public?

Byron
Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Currency Fluctuations?

Byron, could it be that since the value of the Dollar has dropped so much against the Pound and Euro that the folks in the UK (and elsewhere) are able to by fly fishing gear from you for very reasonable prices compared to what they can get at home.

I checked out one of the online stores from the UK (http://www.fmtc.co.uk/).
They are selling the St Croix Legend Ultra 4wt 9' 4pc for 230.00, which is $467 for us.
LRO is selling the same rod for $340 online, which is 167.22 for them.

So for someone purchasing gear in the UK, they could save about 27% by buying it from you, rather than buying it in the UK. Obviously there are other issues like taxes and shipping, but my guess is that you have an international market that buys gear from you much less expensively than in their local markets (as long as the dollar stays where it is).

Obviously if the dollar starts to rise dramatically against the Euro or Pound that advantage will diminish.

Perhaps you should begin to focus even more on your international markets! Its amazing what the internet has done for business.

BTW, the currency converter I used was www.xe.com and right now a person in the UK can buy $2.03 worth of goods in the states for 1.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Pete!

You are exactly right. I know this for a fact. I used to buy from U.S. when I lived in Sweden. It all worked fine until one day when the swedish customs began scrutinizing commercial packages from overseas. They began slapping on a importation tax and a processing fee. Now it almost cost as much as if I had bought it at home. It works for small packages and if it looks like a private sender and recipient. I guess the authorities in England are not as scrutinizing yet.

On a related note, it seems like U.S. customs are a lot nicer than the swedes. I have bought dvd's and books from Sweden and U.S. customs have never slapped on any fee. I think U.S. law is on a honorary system. You are supposed to declare it on your own. I also think U.S. might look at it the same as they do when they let people in at the border. You have an exemption of about $400 dollars if you bought it overseas.

Note: I'm not an attorney, what I have stated above is not legal advice and you are on your own if you buy stuff from overseas and end up paying fees and taxes. I'm just sharing my experiences.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Note: I'm not an attorney, what I have stated above is not legal advice and you are on your own if you buy stuff from overseas and end up paying fees and taxes. I'm just sharing my experiences.
hahahahaha!!!!!

Our very first legal disclaimer! Very funny, Hans!

Paula
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Default reply to LRO

Nothing was mentioned by Bo about Fishpond going public--I think his point was that,Fishpond, was born into a saturated fly fishing market from hades---but because of innovation,quality,and tasteful,modern design--Fishpond got their part of the market,and with an expanded line of products,rose to dominate this part of the fly-fishing market.It's a "Only in the USA" type story that examplifies why success is still available to those with ambition and articulate originality.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM

well, Paula! I guess I can be overcautious at times. I have been too long in this country I guess. I took a bunch of pre law courses and got scared by this one professor who introduced us to the victim and blame game etc etc. That's a story for another board.

I just hate to be the one blamed if something goes wrong. I wonder if the comedy barn out west Knoxville are hiring? I doubt I could make one person laugh.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with a bunch of Netflix movies and it is a Saturday afternoon and I should be doing something productive, like fishing oh well.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Talking Fishing Guarantee

Hans,

Did I misunderstand you, or did you promise that I would have the best fishing day of my life tomorrow on the SOHO, LOL. I might have to get an Ambulance Chaser on retainer if that's the case. FYI, I was able to get my Trout Stamp online so we don't have to worry about stopping to get one.

Neal