Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Question about rod action, ferrule

I'm still a beginner myself and I'm looking to make a rod upgrade. I have been told to buy the best rod I can afford. Right now I have my eyes set on a St. Croix Avid 4wt. or Ultra Legend 4wt. I've casted my roommate's Ultra and it is super sweet. He said the reason it cast the way it does is b/c it has a tip flex. I trust him since he used to guide. Online the action for the Avid says mod/fast and the Ultra's is fast but a tip over butt for the "ferrule". I'm not sure what ferrule means. Anyone care to explain the difference? What would be a better rod for the Smokies?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Tiger fly

I moved your post to tackle and gear to give it visibility where people would be more likely to respond.

I am sure someone will pipe up soon.

Paula
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM

thanks Paula
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Default rod action

If you live close enough go to LRO and cast a few rods. I am not sure if they carry St Croix but they do have a lot of diffrent rods and the guys/gals there are very helpfull. Check out the 7'9 TFO finnesse rods, they make great smokies rods. Or if the funds are good the 8 ft winston B2X is as good as they get and has a soft tip too.
Matt
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Default TFO Finnesse

As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a 7'9" 4wt TFO Finnesse. Haven't gotten out on the stream yet but dry casts in the back of LRO have me itchin to get out. It's a really sweet rod for the bucks.

Thanks to Paula for guiding me through my rig purchase.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a 7'9" 4wt TFO Finnesse.

You have chosen well, Grasshopper....

Gerry
Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 AM

Default I have both...

TFO and St Croix rods in my personal arsenal . If you decide to go with St. Croix, one advantage is that it is an American made in the USA product. The Avids and Legend Ultras both come with lifetime warranties last time I looked.

One thought about the Legend Ultra as compared with the Avid is that the Legend Ultra, in my experience, seem to take a bit more line to load the rod. Meaning simply that my Legend Ultra in the 4 weight, 8'6" is a bit difficult for me to use in tighter casting situations such as most of the Little River in the park. My Avid in the same weight and length is great, though my preferred rod in the park is a 7'9" 3 weight Legend Ultra. Fir some reason I can get the 3 weight to load better than the 4 weight in those tight situations.

Having said that, the TFO's may be imports, but they are very sweet casting rods and also have a great warranter. I am pondering the 4 weight 7'9" TFO Finesse myself.

When all is said and done, it might really serve you well (as others have already said) to stop in LRO to test cast several of these rods that the responses mention. If you don't live nearby, what better excuse for a visit to the park than the complicated and oh so important task of selecting just the right rod .

Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 AM

The 7' 9" Avid is an absolute sweetheart of a rod. During my "ultimate SMNP rod" search, the Avid was my #2 choice, second only to the 7' 6" Sage SLT. Fantastic rod.

I had a pre-IPC St. Croix Legend Ultra a couple of years ago, and I flat could not make it work. Of course, it was an odd size - 7' 6" 5wt. Very, very stiff rod.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Ultra

A friend has a 5wt ultra. I loved the way it cast. I'm pretty sure it was a 9ft,4pc. Very smooth. We fished it on the Clinch and I feel it is a good rod for the money. LRO carries St. Croix last time I looked.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Let me try!

I'll break this to ya in two ways....There are a multitude of rod actions to suit a multitude of reaction times/casting styles! In short form it looks something like this:

1)Tip Flex or Fast Action
2)Mid Flex or Medium Action
3)Full Flex or Slow Action

Rod manufacturors will refer to their rod as a one or the other using either a specific FLEX or a specific ACTION and won't mix the two...Orvis using FLEX and Sage using the word ACTION....It's kinda confusing but they mean the same thing in reality.

What's the difference??

1)A tip flex or fast action rod will only bend at the tip (under load or at the extention of your cast as your line unrolls) or just past the tip section making the rod ''LOAD'' faster and creating a quicker response time by the caster, there for or in most cases creating a tighter loop! A faster action rod will also have better wind cutting abilities than a slower rod.

2)A mid flex or medium action rod will bend in the middle making the road load a little slower than a fast action and a little faster than a slow action rod. This creates a middle of the road response time. This is why a medium action rod is reccomended by so many people for beginner casters! By using a mid flex/medium action rod, once you become accustomed to using it you should be able to make the transition into using a tip flex or full flex rather easily! A vast majority of rods being used on streams today are mid flex, which is the predominant rod you will see in a fly shop or when being guided on a stream, brought by the guide for you to use! The "usual" reccomended weight, reccomended by most fly shops, will be a 5 or 6 wieght. Usually a 6, same factor applies here! It's the middle of the road fly line and usually allowst the beginner caster to make cast's of 30 to 60 ft will relative ease after initially learning casting basics!

3)A full flex or slow action rod will bend all the way into the butt section of the rod, or all the way into the cork/handle. This rod usually creates a relaxed casting style and a slower response time. I will say this rod usually has the best "FEEL" for what your line is really doing without having to watch your cast. This rod will also usually cast more open loops (less tight).

Now, all that being said there are drawbacks to all three rods! It all depends on your specific condition. Which is why so many of us are for ever in debt to LRO! Several rods to cover a wide spectrum of fisheries/tributaries/tailwaters A fast action rod will usually cast heavier rigs (ie;larger weighted streamers) and will usually cast that rig better than a slower action rod at greater distances. Slow action rod's will delicately lay a dry fly, causing little disturbance to the water...It's all gonna break right down to how good of a caster you are! No matter how good you are you'll fall victim to liking one specific rod action better than other two! Just remember different rods, different water, different presentations..So you may want to let your sales person where you will be doing most of your fishing and where you may spend some time fishing on the side! This could be the difference between a 7.5' slow action 3 wieght and a 9' fast action 5 wieght rod, trust me there is a huge difference!

Ferrule-this is simply the term used for the part of the rod that slips over another section of rod....Where the rod pieces come together to make one section. Ie; a four peice rod will have four ferrules...Tip over butt, meaning where the tip sections (upper) cover the butt sections (lower) of the rod when putting your rod together creating a taper to the rod!

Technology-Todays technology beats that of the past. That being said todays four peice rods bend or "FEEL" just as good as a one peice rod! Rod makers are spending a tremendous amount of money and research on new ferrule technology to eliminate and stiffness in the sections of rod. Basically not allowing a ferrule to interfere with it's bending properties! Ferrules used to have a habit of making a rod stiffen up in the ferrule! So when buying your rod don't be distracted with trying to buy a rod with fewer or no ferrule's....Make it packable,so you can take it with you where ever you end up!

I hope I didn't ramble to long and I hope that answered your question to the fullest ability I had available. Good luck on your purchase!

~Brett