Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Thanks to LRO

This is exactly why newcomers to FFing need to read this board regularly. Many thanks to LRO for providing this forum. Every day is a new education on a new topic whether it's gear, technique, places to fish and how to fish them and on and on.

Thanks Brett for taking the time for your explanation. Much appreciated by all of us who are learning as we go.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Anytime!

What ever I can do to help someone out, I'll do it! Anything to strengthen the sport! I was there 5 years ago and have been pationately pursuing it for about 4! I've read countless magazine article's and books. I've spent many hours picking minds of the good folks at LRO. I've been fortunate enought to spend time learning with my dad and learning from some good friends of mine as well as his. Hey, you gotta start somewhere and where better than a dedicated forum. It's only going to get better, easier and bigger! The great minds at LRO are stirring something good up! Stay tuned and I'm sure will all be able to learn alot more...As Byron said in his fishing report, one of the great things about this sport is there's always something new to it! No matter how basic the sport really is there's always some new spin on a technique or some new fly we all have to try! It's always something new, which open the doors up for open minded people! That's why I like this sport...It's the people, the people that take up fly fishing always seem to want to learn!

I was interested in goind to the Joan Wulff school..for those who don't know Joan is a president on a dollar bill to this sport! She makes incredible casts, at incredible distances....and it's all packed into a frame around 5'05'' tall and probably 115 lbs...She's amazing...I was Googling one night and ran across an interview with Joan about her school...She mention's alot of things but she said one thing that stood out in my mind..."It all starts by making a cast that catches a fish, then it's on to making the longest cast you can possibly make, finally it's about making every cast perfect in it's presentation!"

That says alot about casting, one single aspect in this sport! But what makes it so perfect, is the simple fact it's so true!!!

Great people, that is what makes anything worth while! There's alot of great people in this sport and we all can learn from eachother!

~Brett
Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 AM

thanks everybody for the advice. with my budget, it's going to be a huge purchase and it's good to hear from some folks with experience!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Default PeteCz, Chime in!

Regarding your budget, to give you a frame of reference, the entire rig that I referenced in my earlier post with TFO rod, Orvis reel, fly line and leader together cost right at $400. Not cheap but much less than many other options.

Pete,
You were telling me about a guy who promotes a bare bones approach to fly fishing with Wally World rod and reel, vaseline as a floating aid, etc. Is there an on-line reference to this guy that you could pass on to Tiger fly?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 AM

I have a friend that used to guide part time around here who: only owned one rod, which he purchased from walmart, never even used floatant (despite fishing mainly dries) did not own a pair of waders, a vest or chest pack. he had one fly box which he kept in his pant pocket which was full of flies he tied on the cheapest vise imaginable, with cheap hackle that he trimmed to size. he wades in combat boots and wears a black tshirt in the summer, if its chilly he wears his german military surplus jacket. last time I fished with him he was using a braided leader that he claims he's had for the past few seasons. I don't know where he got his tippet, as he never had a spool on him that I know of. He's not rich, but he certainly makes enough money to afford some decent gear, he just doesn't want it. he also only drinks expensive import beer.

the guy knows all of the TN side park streams like the back of his hand, and always outfished me to an embarrasing degree.