Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Cumberland River Fishing Report

My friend Mike and I spent the weekend on the Cumberland River. On Saturday while the Vols handled Georgia we put the canoe in at Helms landing. We paddled up river where we wade fished and drifted in the canoe fishing our way back to Helms. We landed a lot of fish in the 14- 16, mostly rainbows on size 18 black zebra midges.
On Sunday we drifted the river with guide Hagan Wann. Fishing was steady most of the morning. Mike and I both landed rainbows over 20 inches. The afternoon was slower but produced some nice fish, again mostly rainbows with a few browns thrown in. Prince nymphs seemed to land the larger fish while the zebra midge was the most consistent producer. Late in the day we went to stimulators with a zebra dropped off the back.
On Monday we sat out on our own to fish the stretch of the river where we had had our greatest success and to fish rainbow run which had not fished well the afternoon before. About 9:00 am KFW shock boat came roaring through with the loudest boat I have ever heard. They proceeded to shock and net fish for several miles of river right where we were fishing. We landed two fish the rest of the day. I am glad to see KFW monitoring the river but maybe they could have come the day after we left. Still lots of healthy fish landed and some large fish we saw but could not get a commitment from. I will be back but if I see KFW shocking fish I will exit to another part of the river.

My friend Mike and I spent the weekend on the Cumberland River. On Saturday while the Vols handled Georgia we put the canoe in at Helms landing. We paddled up river where we wade fished and drifted in the canoe fishing our way back to Helms. We landed a lot of fish in the 14- 16, mostly rainbows on size 18 black zebra midges.
On Sunday we drifted the river with guide Hagan Wann. Fishing was steady most of the morning. Mike and I both landed rainbows over 20 inches. The afternoon was slower but produced some nice fish, again mostly rainbows with a few browns thrown in. Prince nymphs seemed to land the larger fish while the zebra midge was the most consistent producer. Late in the day we went to stimulators with a zebra dropped off the back.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM

dps260
Good report! what size prince were you fishing? Was it a bead head?
I am going to the Cumberland monday for two weeks. I will be staying at Kendall campground, site #69.
Retirement is good.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Sounds like a good trip. I'm glad the Cumberland is fishing well. I've been worried. I floated with Hagan all day by myself three or four years ago. I hooked the largest brown trout of my life. It was just daylight and he told me to cast over next to a log. I did and the strike indicator went under. I set the hook and this huge fish just kind of rolled. He didn't fight much. We got him out into the middle of the river. Then we saw him. I really think he was as long as my leg and the fish hadn't figured out what was going on. Hagan and I saw him and both of us went nuts. The trout decided he had enough and took off. My 6X tippet couldn't handle the friction of the line on the water. He won. I enjoyed every minute with Hagan that day and loved his beautiful boat. He is one fine guide and a good person.

Byron
Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 PM

The Prince did have a bead and was tied by Hagan. It had rubber legs and was a size 14 or possibly 16. The Zebras were 18 or 20. There were some flys coming off Saturday but the adams I tried did not do the trick. Good luck. Retirement does sound great.

Pat
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Smile

Thanks, Pat, for the information. I am heading to the vise right now.
Paul
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Hagan Wann

Does anyone have a contact number for Hagan? My fishing partner and I are looking to find a guide for the Cumberland. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Fish with Hagan. He can also set you up with some a good place to stay the night. Very close to the river. I will try to get some contact info on him.
Pat
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Contact Hagan at haganw@alltell.net. Good luck. Hagan tells me the river is still fishing good. His clients have taken some large fish on stimulators.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Question Guide on the Cumberland

Are there any other guides that recomended for the Cumberland river?

Regards,

Calvin O'Hern
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Guide Service

Calvin,
Check with this guy:

http://www.cumberlandtroutguide.com/

By the way, I think I work with you. Are you at Alstom?

Travis