Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Good spot for newbie and son

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a place that would be relatively easy to get to to fish. I'm bringing cardfly jr. who is almost 7. We will be coming either the first or second weekend of November. Don't mind a short hike but fairly close to a road would be great.

I took the beginners class and have been going crazy wanting to get back.

Any help finding a good place to go would be greatly appreciated. WOOO HOOO I can't wait.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM

I might try Elkmont or Tremont. Relatively easy access and wading and generally pretty darn good fishing.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks Flydoc,

We will give both a try.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Other options

Cardly,

Also check out Need help finding gaintfish first trout on a fly. in this same section. Good options there as well.

Hope you and your son have a great time.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks Charlie,

I've been watching. I kind of jumped the gun and started this thread before I saw the other one.

Thanks again.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM

I think a lot of your decision on where to fish will be predicated on the water temps; right now, the mid-upper sections of the streams are apparently fishing well (I'm going to find out in person this weekend). However, if the mountains get a couple of shots of really cold weather, and the water temps get below 50, the lower elevation streams will start fishing better. Tremont will probably fish well - I caught my first Smokies trout there on the day after Thanksgiving, in pretty brisk conditions. I had tried some higher elevation areas before Tremont, and totally struck out.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM

IJsouth if you see a tall skinny teenager with a heavy set out of shape middle age man stop and say HI. I think on friday we are going up high for brookies than if I can get past New Found Gap with all the leaf watchers we are going to try the NC Side. Cardfly one thing I can suggest for a 7yr old is to take him to one of the children streams in Gatlinburg for a couple of hours to start him out. The city stock the streams super heavy and only children under 12 are allowed to fish. My 9yr old daughter make me take her there everytime I come up. On a spinning rod she has caught as many as 15 in a couple hours. Any of the vistor centers can give you directions. There is a nice area below one of them that is legal for both of you to fish. Email me at Vernonkofc@comcast.net if you want more derictions. My sons fly rod skills are fairly weak and the fishing for the wild trout was tough last June. I think they are a little better now. But I am still concerned about putting him on fish. Even at 15 if I don't put him on some action he gets bored and I end up hiking out a lot sooner than I am use to.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks Vern,

I think we will start off at one of the children's streams on Saturday morning and move up to the park in the afternoon. Either Tremont or Elkmont that afternoon. We will probally head into the park on Sunday morning as well. I will email you for some directions if you don't mind.

I do appreciate all of the input from everyone so far on locations. This will be my first time, I did go with the beginner class from LRO in September, fishing in the park and I'm really looking forward to it. If I ever do catch my first trout in the park, I figure it will have cost me about $500 per fish. I do have a great wife, just in case she reads this......

Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Mill Creek in Cades Cove

I don't know where you will be in the park, but if you are going to be in the Townsend area, I would head to Cades Cove. You can't beat the scenery and the fishing is also pretty good. I would consider Mill Creek behind the visitors center in the back portion of the loop around the Cove. You can either park at the visitors center and work your way down Mill Creek till its confluence with Abrams or you can park at the Abrams Falls trailhead and work up Mill Creek. I usually fish Abrams about once a year and I believe it is one of the most productive streams in the park. You could walk just a short ways down the trail and step into the creek and fish your way back up to the parking lot. But, if there is enough water in Mill Creek you could probably entertain a child there. It is a much smaller stream. If I absolutely had to catch a fish in the park, I have found the small rainbows in Mill Creek to be as cooperative as any when it comes to rising to a fly. With that said there are always those days when it seems nothing wants to eat. The good think about Mill Creek is that it is close to the road and if there is not enough water in it you can always try Abrams just below the confluence (just don't go down to far, you probably don't want to get into the horseshoe) and with the visitors center and historic sites there is usually enough to keep the whole family satisfied. Also, not sure if your son was fly fishing or spin fishing.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I figure it will have cost me about $500 per fish.
David,
I do not have anything to add to what has been said other than to say a very big "good for you" in taking your son fishing. I fish with my boy and let me tell you it's rewarding to both him and me. Far too many children today have no positive male role models and are so busy with other activities that "quiet time with dad" is no longer a priority. I applaud you for taking an interest in fishing with your son.

As for the above quote, you probably do not want to really add that number up. Based on my experience, $500 per fish is getting of pretty cheap. I think you're going to find the price is actually higher.

On the other hand, the rewards of fishing (especially with your children) are far greater than the cost.

Jeff