Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Opening Grouse Hunt

I know this isn't fishing related so I'll make it up to you by reporting on the water.

Tellico River is almost dry.
Bald River Falls is just a trickle.

Now for the hunting report.
The opening grouse hunt for this season was GREAT. We went up a trail that ran along a small creek that actually had a little bit of water in it. The temperature started out around 40 but quickly warmed up into the upper 70's by lunch so we only hunted about 3 hours.
The dog work was outstanding. Duke hunted with enthusiasm and listened to me all day long. The best part was the 2 most stylish and intense points I've ever seen him make.
The first point happened about 30 minutes into the hunt as we came around a bend in the trail. Duke was getting birdy cause I could see his little stub tail going crazy and then he started to almost crawl on his belly up to this bend. Once he got there he slowly stood all the way up and then picked his right front paw up. I couldn't believe it. I asked him if there were birds in there and he didn't look back at me, which means he's really onto something. I slowly walked up to him and looked down the little hill towards where he was looking. Then I heard something moving in the leaves and I thought it must be a turkey. Then i saw it, I saw what Duke was so intensely pointing. It was a black bear! He was about 20 yards away and moving towards us. The bear saw us as soon as i saw it and it stood on his back legs. He was about 4.5 to 5 feet tall. When he dropped back down on all fours, Duke let out the most evil growl I've ever heard. Then i hollared at the bear and Duke barked and the bear ran off. We never saw him again the rest of the time.
The next point was a little more productive. Duke was off to my left up the ridge when something caught my eye in front of me. It was a grouse sitting in the trail and I got to see it flush. It flew back around me to my right but I never got a shot. I did get Duke down to me and he pointed where the grouse had been.
So no birds were harmed, no shots fired but I got 2 very nice points on the opening hunt of the season. 1 point on a bear and 1 point that was about 5 minutes too late.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:50 AM

I've never been grouse hunting but would love to go sometime. I understand it's pretty hard work. I've got a springer spaniel I'm taking to south dakota in a few weeks and cant wait to see him work a CRP field for pheasants.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM

I enjoyed that Russ. I've been working my GSP on planted quail for the last 2 weeks. Season opens next Sat. on Grouse and Woodcock and Nov. 10th for Quail. I've been boning up on my double gun with the Doves the last few weeks too. Looking forward to cooler weather and dog work.--Bran