Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM

It's really strange that this discussion started when it did. I was just having a disagreement with someone about this issue. I was saying that I don't mind fishing alone when I am near the road or a populated area. On the other hand, I would rather have company when I'm deeper into the mountains (back country sites, etc..). I do agree, however, that it seems much easier to fish without someone because I, like jeffnles1 and many others, like to cover more area.

PTF
Old 10-21-2007, 04:10 PM

I usually fish solo 'cause it just works out that way and I'm a fairly private person but i don't mind the right company...fishing with the right like-minded flyfishing buddy can be like fishing with ones self and the camaraderie at the end of the day can be a great extension to the trip...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM

There is a great thread over on SEFFF that sums up how I feel, in words that I could never write:

Why?...
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM

I am very fortunate that my younger son (13) has loved to fish since he was 3 and fly fish since he was 8. He is an independent fisherman and loves being in the stream and concentrating on his experience. We fish at the same rate, don't hurry or hold each other back, communicate well as needed. He enjoys the solitude as much as I. He does keep count and is very competitive but in a positive and focussed way. His stream manners are impecable. Afterwards, we share a lot of stories and laughs. I am really lucky to be able to share something that I love with him but still be able to enjoy the solitude of the instant.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Even when someone is with me once I get into the water and start zoning in on the total experience I still find myself alone....when I was younger..read late 20s I would pack into the upper reaches of Elkmont and camp by myself for 3-4 days and fish at my own rate....those were some great times and I was never far off the beaten path.....always had an itinerary and someone knew where camp was and when I was to come out....have generally fished with one particular buddy the last 30 years and most of the time we are fishing separately but within site of one another....had to fish one year without his company and while the time on the water was OK his company afterwards was missed....it only takes one bad step to get into trouble anywhere in the mountains...so I have come to realize that safety has to trump the solitude card these days.