Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Where to fish and what to fish with....

I'm relativly new to the fly fishing sport but have been fishing since I was about 3 years old. I have become fascinated with fly fishing ever since I picked up the fly rod. Its a very calm and relaxing thing that helps me get through the more stressfull times of the week. However living in Birmingham does not have the demand on flyfishing that I desire so very much. I usually visit Gatlinburge around 3 or 4 times a year but this time I would like to trout fish. Could I please get some feedback on where exactly I should try, I prefer fishing alone if all possible. I'm relativly familiar with the area so just a couple of spots I should try and what kind of flys I should bring along with me would help so much. Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Rollin Tide,

Check out the thread under Smoky Mountain Fishing entitled Need help finding gaintfish first trout on a fly. This discussion lists several places on the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. If you are visiting Gatlinburg, leave town on the Smoky Mountains National Park side and you will pass the Sugarland Visitors Center on the right. The West Prong of the Little Pigeon River will be on your left as you begin to head up Highway 441 through the mountains. Either the Quiet Walkways described in the thread or on up the river past the Chimneys Picnic Area (5 miles past Sugarlands) and below the Chimneys Trailhead (about 2 miles further on up the road) are prime spots to try out that will give you a good taste for fly fishing in the Smokies. As for what to fish with, the Little River Outfitters fishing report always has good advice on the flies to use.

Gotta say, you guys laid a real dog whuppin on us this weekend. Good for you, bad for us.

Good thing there's fly fishing to soothe the troubled soul.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks charlie your feedback is greatly appreciated, and yeah I was impressed with the tide as well this weekend thats the best we have played all year. Good luck to you guys for the remainder of the year.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Tide,

If you are going up the West Prong of the Little Pigeon up to the Chimney Tops, you better be in shape. It is boulder hopping at it's finest. I went last Wednesday morning and spent about 3 hours. It is definitely a workout, so don't go if you are not in shape. If you are going in the next 2 to 3 weeks, a #14 or #16 parachute adams(grey body) will do the trick and it's easy to see. If you want easier fishing then try one of the walkways on the way to the Chimney Tops along 441. Remember the higher the elevation the more difficult the boulder hopping will get. If you are in shape then go high.
It is easier fishing along the Little River about 1 to 1 1/2 mile past the Elkmont campground as you are driving from Sugarland Visitor Center towards Townsend. The Little River is very low right now but there are still pools downstream from Elkmont that you can fish.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Default actually going this weekend

Yeah im heading up there thursday actually, there is alot of rain moving in tonight and throughout the week but should be over by thursday. But do explain where you are talking about. Im staying on the mountain beside the Gatlinburge welcome center. If you do not mind explaining some directions to me that would be excellent. By the way the boulder hopping sounds interesting I dont think I should have a problem with them, I condition myself by running usually every day of the week. Thanks for the warning though that is some helpfull information.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Boulder Hopping

Tide,

I am a 55 year-old that has been fishing more than working out this summer. I have been on the West Prong below the Chimney Tops quite a few days this summer for 6 hours or more. Personally, I enjoy the boulder hopping and plan to do some more of it this Wednesday (hoping the mountains get some of this week's rain). One advantage of all the boulders, particularly this time of year, is that you can fish for a long time with minimal water contact. It also helps in staying back from the water so as not to spook the trout.

Another advantage to going higher up is that you will begin to run into brook trout territory.

If you are interested in a report on the WPLR on Wednesday night, give me a buzz at 865.898.9687.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks charlie I will keep that in mind.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Arrow

Tide,
If you drive into Gatlinburg from the welcome Center, stay on 441 and go past the intersection where 321 joins in with 441. You are heading towards the park. When you get to the red light that is at the Aquarium, bear right on River Road. You will bypass the downtown. If you are going early say 07:30, it won't matter but in traffic take River Road. Stay on River Road and you will come to a red light below Ober Gatlinburg and right by Bennet's Barbeque. Go straight and go into the park. Head towards the Sugarland Visitor's center. Do not take the Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg bypass. When you come to the Visitor's center, go straight on 441 towards Chimney Tops Picnic Area or Cligman's Dome. There are signs. As you head towards Chimney Tops you will see signs for quiet walkways on your left. If you want to fish without elevation , pull off in one of the quiet walkways soon after you go past the Sugalands Visitors Center. If you want to go for the true Smoky Mountain Experience go up to the Chimney Tops trailhead Parking Area. It is about 7 to 9 miles after you pass the Sugarland's Visitors center. Oh yeah, you will go through a tunnel right before you get to the Chimney Tops trailhead Area. The Chimney Tops will be marked by signs.

When I got to the Chimney Tops Trailhead Parking area, I geared up and walked down to the river(More like a creek) and walked down to below the tunnel on the road on the river. The road will be seen from the river valley. I hopped down boulders on the side, keeping away from the pools. I worked my way back up to the Trailhead area poolhopping and boulder hopping. I used a #16 parachute adams ( Grey Body). In 3 hours I got 9 trout( 8 rainbows and one Brookie). The Brookie was the Smoky Mountain experience. I, like NVR2L8 am 55 years old and I am in very good shape for my age. I was an Infantry soldier 34 years ago and I ran a 21 min 28 sec, 5k in July07 but boulder hopping is still difficult. You are using muscles that you are not used to, especially at 55.

To go to the Little River past Elkmont, go right at the Sugarland's visitor center towards Cades Cove. You will take the right instead of going straight on 441 that took you up to Chimney Tops. I would go about 1 mile past the Elkmont camground and pull off on one of the parking areas on your left. You can also go up to the Elkmont Campground and bear left and park in the parking area right before the trail that heads up the mountain (Name? Probably Little River Trail).

Tide, if I were you I would definitely go up to the Chimney Tops trailhead.Go early, when the sun comes up and you will be on the river alone. Other fishermen or women will come around 10. You want to fish this stretch by yourself to experience some solitude. You can also go back through Gatlinburg by just using River Road.

I just thought of something,if I understand you, you are staying out near the Gatlinburg welcome center on the road from Pigeon Forge. You know you may be able to take the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge bypass out there and end up at the Park Enterance( Above, where I tell you not to take the bypass). Someone else may be able to advise you on this. Sorry for the long winded response but I am anal retentive per my wife.

Last edited by 18inchbrown; 10-23-2007 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Hey RollinTide4 have you ever been to the Sipsey just North of Jasper. They stock the river there every 2 months below Smith Dam. I have been several times and it is great. For more info go to www.riversideflyshop.com I live in the Albertville-Guntersville area and it takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to get there. I went about a week ago and caught about 30 in 4 hours.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Arlo

You know I have been meaning to go up there I live in Dora wich is right in between jasper and birmingham. It takes me around 25 minutes to get up there. I have heard alot about the fishing up there but wasnt sure about when the water would be running, because they say if you do not know when they are going to run the water and your in the stream it can be very dangerous. Glad to hear from someone who has fished up there and thanks for the link.