Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Road Prong 10-25-07

Slipped away from work today to try a little fishing after our recent rains. While the rains had raised all of the streams, the WPLP and Road Prong were both very fishable today. If you have a chance to get out, this should be a great weekend for fishing. Now for the report:

Arrived at the Chimney Tops Trail Parking area at about 10:15 and hiked up to the 4th bridge. Rigged up and entered the water at 11am. Caught two fish in the 2nd pool above the bridge on the first two casts. I wish I could say the rest of the day went that well...but that would be stretching the truth...however, I did manage to catch about a dozen brookies in about 3hrs. Caught 8 of them in the last hour or so. The fishing seemed to be picking up, so if you go this weekend, you might want to go in the afternoon. Most fish were in the 5-7" range, with one really colorful 9.5" brookie. All the fish looked great. The water temp was 52 degrees and for the most part the air temp was around 55. It was quite windy in the mountains today, but by staying in the canyon, most of the force of the wind passed overhead and was not too much of a hindrance.

All of the fish were hooked on a #16 Yellow Stimi. I tried an EHC and PA, but rarely got even a look. Early on, the extra elbow room and lower water temp seemed to be keeping the fish down. I really didn't want to fish any nymphs, so I stuck with the Stimi until it started working. Probably could have caught more fish, but would have also snagged a bunch leaves, as well. Up high there were quite a few leaves in the water, but they never seemed to be too much of a problem. It might be that the rain had washed a bunch of them down the stream. I'm not really sure...I had expected them to be more of a problem.

All-in-all it was a great fall day to be on the stream. Even though I caight fewer than normal for the stream if you factor in the better conditions, the higher water, the crisp air and the blue skies it turned out to be an outstanding day. If you can, you need to get out...

Here are a few pics to compare from this Summer. The stream has rebounded back to the point it was at, plus a little extra:

Today at the cascade:

August at the same spot

Today at my favorite pool (only caught one there today...)

August at the same pool (notice how much lower the flow was in Aug.)

And finally, the waterfall, today

And in August (its hard to tell from this picture, but the waterfall was twice as strong today, as in Aug)

I apologize that todays pictures were not as clear, I used my cell phone's camera, and it isn't as good as I had hoped. I also lost a few fish pictures today that I had hoped to upload as well. Oh well, I guess I need to go back on Saturday and find the same fish...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Great report! The pics are just fine. It's a relief just to see water back in between the boulders! I've been holding off, but I may just have to hit the mountains this weekend.

Gerry
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 PM

Not fair! Wasn't going to be able to get away this weekend. Now I may have to find an excuse, i.e., "lost my (fill in the blank) on the river on Wednesday". Water has definitely receeded significantly since yesterday.

Thanks for the report, Pete.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM

I wish our trip was for this weekend, instead of last weekend...what a difference. I'm still frustrated about all the missed strikes - it's going to be hard to wait until March.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Thumbs up

Great report Pete. I think I'll try to catch some brookies myself on a headwater stream in the Smokies. The water looks pretty decent in your pics, much better than what I saw almost 3 weeks ago on upper Bradley Fork. Road Prong is a nice stream, glad they opened it up to fishing.

Neal
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Twist my arm

9.5 " brookie..sure where's that Pic?
But otherwise.. Nice job with the similar pics ..but yes toss that Camera phone!
Reminds me of the time I slipped and fell head first in the Frying Pan..I made it out ok, but unfortuantely my Camera phone didn't. Did lead to a quiet rest of the trip though...

Ok..I'm in for Sat!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Pete and I went to West Prong of the Little Pigeon a few weeks ago and he caught Brookies that were in the 9-10 inch range - I'm a witness. On my own, I've caught at least one in the WPLP that was 10". They're up there, trust me.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM

What does the yellow stimi look like and where can I get one ?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Yellow Stimi => Yellow Stimulator

Actually its a Yellow Stimulator. I picked'em up at LRO. I tie some of my own flies, but until I get a little more proficient I'll keep purchasing the Stimis from LRO. They're great for fast water with lots of foam. They ride high and are colorful. You might also try an Orange Stimulator this time of year.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweile...stimulator.htm

Charlie, there is a 12" Brookie in the Gorge of the WPLP that stole a Yellow Parachute Adams of mine when we went fishing, and I want it back!!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Yellow PA

Tell you what, Pete, if I get it first, I'll retrieve your fly for you. That would be cool to get a picture of a 12" brookie with two flies in its mouth. I'm sure it's buddies are really impressed with its piercing.

One of these days, I'll get hold of a picture and post a copy of a brookie that my father-in-law caught in the Tellico River many years ago. It's laying out on a newspaper and you can tell from how it's laid out on the paper that it's close to 20" long. If I recall the story, the group ate it for supper not knowing that it would have been a state record at the time.

A heart attack with fins!

bartonca@hotmail.com