Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Chimney Tops at Trailhead parking....

Water looked pretty good from the entrance bridge I decided to go down stream to the right. I travled about a mile or so down stream but fish seemed to be kindly slow. I caught 3 rainbows within 4 hours. The Pa was not looked at much seen quite a few fish. Tommorow Im going to try up stream to the left of the bridge and am going to try the fly that pete caught all of his on and try there. Sorry I have photos from today but I forgot my usb cable at home or I would upload them.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:13 PM

If you are looking for brookies try driving past the parking area, thru the loop and pull off at the first parking spot where the river comes back to the road...Walkers Camp Prong.....get to it while there is still some water around.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM

yeah i would like to catch a few of them before heading out sunday wich way should I fish up or down stream when I get there?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:28 PM

I may get overruled on this one, but I think you should always fish upstream (at least always on small streams with wild trout). You won't be able to sneak up on a fish if he can see you (which they most definitely can if you are facing them). You have a much better chance of going unseen if you are behind them (although sometimes the fish seem to resemble my parents when I was a kid - eyes in the back of their heads!).

The first two fish I caught yesterday, I crept up behind a boulder and cast around it up into a pool about 3' above me from 15' away. The only thing that was visible was part of my rod tip and I worked from the back end of the pool to the top. Anytime I could see the fish, they usually took off (probably sensed me from walking along the banks - or falling in the stream...).

It took me several years to start catching fish in the park. The main reason was that I wasn't sneaky enough. You can cast well, pick the perfect fly, go at the right times, fish the best pools, but if you aren't sneaky, you won't catch fish in the Park...You'd be surprised how many more fish you can catch by sitting down, crouching, casting from behind a boulder or hiding in a rhododendron (I have a love-hate relationships with the rhodies...).

Best of luck! Be sneaky!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 PM

The last post was right on point.....I have always fished upstream....going downstream from this point will put you into the top of the gorge and there is some steep plunge pools between there and the Chimney's trailhead. I was up there the first of the month and there wasn't enough water to fish this section. Even when there could be water found I was having to cast 3 pools ahead with many a time having all but my leader resting on rocks or gravel....this is generally a fairly easy fish and not too steep ..... a small stimulator or caddis in yellow or orange should bring a spec or two to hand...good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Information Overload

Rollin,

One more suggestion and then I'll quit. In addition to Rog 1's spot (I've fished there and it's nice), go up another mile or two to the Alumn Cave Bluffs and Mt. Leconte Trailhead parking lot on the left side of the road. The river is right at the road there and Byron at LRO has said there is some good brookie fishing from there up. I've not been up that far when the water was sufficient for fishing but if it's still up this weekend, that's another option.

Best of luck. If we could, we'd all be there with you.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Default ill use this information.

thanks guys for the knowledge ill let you know how I do tommorow.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Rollin,

Turns out I'm going to be up on WPLP starting around 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. If you see a blue Xterra, that will be me. I'll probably be jumping in at a pulloff about .7 mile below the Chimneys trailhead.

Hope to see you on the river.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM

In general, fishing upstream is definitely the way to go. But if I can't get anything to come to the surface, I start stripping mayfly and caddis imitations across the water to see if I can get the fish to react to movement. This is most easily done from upstream. I try to be extra sneaky, even ninja sneaky, and cast across and downstream, letting the fly take a natural drift into the current and then swing across. I then strip the fly in short bursts, doing my best to make it look like an adult fly laying eggs. This is usually a last resort, but it has worked very well for me at times in the Park, especially on Abrams.

Last edited by Brian Griffing; 10-27-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: I have had a few beers
Old 10-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default Hahahaha!!!

As admin on the site, allow me to present the first ever "Best Reason for Editing" award!

Brilliant....just brilliant.

Paula