Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Question new 3 wt

I am looking to buy a new 3 wt fly rod but can't decide what one. I like the St.Croix Avid 7ft 9, 4 piece, or the 8ft, 4 piece Winston Ascent. They are relatively the same price. Any one have any positive or negative things to say about either.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

This past spring, Daniel set me up with an 8' Avid 4-piece 3wt matched up with a BBSII. This has become my mountain stream go to setup. For the $$, the Avid is a really good buy!

Gerry
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Is the rod fast enough to get a line weight that is a half size heavier like the scientific anglers GPX?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I have mine overlined with a 5wt Rio Pocketwater line and it does just fine. I've also cast it with a 4wt and it also does fine. It can be a little weak if you're trying to throw a #14 Para Adams with a #10 BHPT regardless of what line you've got on. Truthfully, it's not the best nymphing rod, but I prefer to throw dries wherever possible. It's a great rod for targeting dries up to about 20 yards and in the mountains that's about all you'll ever need.

I've never tried it outside the mountains, but I may take it with me up to the South Holston this weekend and see how it does on bigger water. I think it'd be a hoot to tie into a 16" or 18" bow or brown on that rod!!

Gerry
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 PM

Another option for you is to shop around for a Sage SLT in a 3wt. They've been discontinued and there are some good prices out there for the ones still around.

I picked up one a couple months ago (LRO didn't have any 3wt sorry). It's the SLT 3wt 7'6" and it's one very sweet rod. I can't wait to fish in the mountains with it. I've fished it a few times in a tailwater and on a small lake and it's going to be one sweet mountain rod.

I just ordered a spare spool (thanks Paula) for my Orvis BBS II reel. I'm going to spool up a 4wt line for some of the more close in fishing. The rod has plenty of backbone to handle the one up line weight.

Just a thought.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Gerry, have you ever fished it with just 3 wt fly line?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Default hey

I have a loomis gl3 3 weight as my go to rod for everything, they dont make it anymore, but their new rod is the same thing. It is super fast and i can whip it in wind. I bought this rod and pretty much only use it. i have easily caught 20 fish over 15" on it and used it in every type of water. I saw one go for under 200 on e-bay this week. Also I have a powell ltt 3 weight that is 1 sweet rod. I know that they arent the rods you asked about, but with a little looking, they can be found a great prices and are both amazing rods. I can let you know about the avid in a few weeks, i was going to buy 1 as a pack rod for the smokies trip next week.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Check the Warranty!

Here's something important to consider. What happens if you snap your fly rod in two when you are trying to crawl through a rhododendron thicket? How about if your brother-in-law steps on it while you're unhooking the best fish of the day? In the space of 60 days I have no had both happen!!

I believe that with the St Croix you would be out of luck (they have a limited warranty-defects repairs only). The Winston warranty appears to be better and is unlimited, but doesn't guard against intentional breakage (the problem then becomes, what is intentional breakage?). Based on those two things alone, I would opt for the Winston.

However, I'd like to throw in another option...take a look at the TFOs (either the Pro or Finesse). After breaking one over the weekend (in three places) they will fix/replace it for me (I just have to pay shipping both ways). If you are planning on fishing in the mountains and doing lots of climbing and rock hopping make sure you have a rod manufacturer who will help you out when accidents happen...

And Gerry's suggestion is a good one. Overlining a 3wt will make it that much more accurate when you have just a bit of line to throw...

Go to LRO (if you live close enough or can schedule a trip) and try out a bunch of rods and see which one you like best. I had my eye on the Avid, as well, but the TFO felt a bit better and the warranty is a whole lot better.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Winston Ascent

3wt,
I have a 9' 4-wt Winston Ascent, and absolutely love it. It has a fast action which I find helps me when on the tailwaters and encounter a stiff head wind. My mountain rod is a TFO Finesse 2-wt that I would classify as a medium action, but it is absolutely a dream to fish with. I would highly recommend the Winston, but think you should test one out since I know some who think the action is a little too fast for their tastes.

Travis
Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 AM

What line do you have on it? Just regular 4wt line or is it overlined?