Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Confused

Can anyone shine light on a dilemma I have? I need a chest pack or fanny pack that can accommodate the following: One small first aid kit, camera, a few tippet spools, some leaders, one fly box small for a day trip, maglite, a forceps, and a few small knickknacks such as floatant and nippers. So far so good, most packs on the market will do this. Now to the problem, unless you add water bottle holders to the wading belt or using a separate fanny pack, there seem to be no product out there that can do this. I have looked at the fishpond products but they only have one small bottle holder or one with two bottle holder but that one looks like it won't hold all my other gear. What should I do without going to a pack with hydration bladder on it? Advice anyone?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Can't say that i know of a product that will do everything that you are looking for. I can say, however, that if you do decide to go with something that has a hydration bladder i highly recommend either the fishpond shooting star or high country packs. I have the shooting star and my uncle has the high country, both are outstanding products.

Craig
Old 10-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Craig, I'm mainly worried about the weight on my back with hydration pack. What do you think. I have developed back pain in the last few years and I'm currently using a back support belt while fishing. I use a regular vest when I'm fishing tailwaters and bigger rivers but I need something more scaled down for the mountains. If I get a hydration pack will it be the same as a vest? If so I might as well use a vest. I appreciate anyone's advice.

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM

I need to clarify something else, If I use for an example the Kiowa wader belt and combine it with a small chest pack such as the windwalker, I'm wondering if this will be to cumbersome to wear. If this works I will be able to have at least two water bottles and ample of pockets between the two packs and not have to fool with a hydration bladder. Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Hans, have you looked at any of the lumbar fanny packs usually sold for light day hiking? I have a Kelty "boulder" pack 475 ci interior space that has 2 bottle holders and a top loading compartment for gear. The wide semi rigid belt rides on the hip and is very comfortable when loaded. Spin it on your waist when you need to access it. I have used it for several years when a full daypack is not needed. They are usually less than $50. Hopes this helps......Gary
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Gary!

Yes, I used a hiking fanny pack all summer. It's cheap and I have to constantly repair the seams. I was mainly thinking that fishponds Kiowa might be a better quality product.

Have you been fishing lately? don't forget our FFF inaugural on Nov27. Earth Fare at 6:30 PM, Turkey Creek.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM

It has never hurt my back when i wear it, and i usually have it loaded with more stuff than a hydration bladder. If anything, my shoulders were a little sore after the first time i used it. I would hate to give a recommendation and your back hurt, my suggestion is maybe see if you could try one out for a day or so. You know your body better than anyone, so if you're concerned about back pain i prob wouldn't buy one unless you got to try it out first. I will say, though, that the shooting star is one heck of an outfit!

Craig
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM

hans, one option is to carry a bottle with a filter built in. just don't drop the filter in the stream and loose it. (like I did when we went to greenbriar)
Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Pack

I second the water filter bottle. Much lighter than carrying water, and you have virtually an unlimited water supply. I used one in the park in the spring and it worked well. I clipped it to my belt with a carabiner. As far as fanny packs go, look in the hunting section and you may find one that suits you.

Bill
Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM

This summer on the South Holston I was simply too hot in my vest. So I pulled out an old lumbar pack (20 years old). I have really been pretty satisfied with it. I have also considered the Kiowa, it looks to be about the same size as what I am using now. I also wear a lanyard to keep nippers, floatant and a drying patch right where I need them. I have really enjoyed lightening the load. If I had a larger pack I am afraid that I would just put more stuff in it. The one thing I like about the lumbar pack is the ability to carry 2 bottles of water. If the Kiowa doesn't seem to be large enough look at the Dragonfly, I'm pretty sure it is bigger. I hope to purchase one of these two packs if I ever make it back to LRO to compare them. I am convinced that I will do most of my fishing with a lumbar pack and not a vest from now on. I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of the lanyard.