Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Hans,

I got this email link on a closeout item that you might be interested in.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2007CO4.asp
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Water filter

What brand do you guys like for a water flter for on stream use? Bad water sick is bad sick.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Early this summer I went off without my vest and fanny pack and ended up in the Bass Pro Shop....in the outdoor section my son and I found some camo fanny packs with attachable water bottles....these turned out to be light, sturdy and carried all the materials you mentioned.....another option on the water question is that this fall my buddy and I would carry in some purification tablets and several empty bottles into where we started fishing...we would treat the water for use on the way out....that way we did not have to worry about rationing the other bottle while we fished....have also used the filtered bottles but they are usually a pain to get enough water through to sate one's thirst after chasing those wiley trout.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM

I can't help on a lightweight fanny pack, I have a cheap $19 backpack that I try to keep as light as possible. I really only carry my fishing essentials in (1 fly box, gink, nippers, tippet (2x, 4x and 6x) and a hemostat. And when I get to the stream I clip those onto my clothes or into my front pockets.

As for water, I take a half full Nalgene bottle and a Katadyn Water Filter (Vario). The Vario weighs less than a water bottle and is a bit smaller than a bottle as well. I can fill up a water bottle in about a minute, and it has a dual action filter.

I'd love to get a fancy pack from Fishpond, but I haven't been able to justify it yet...Also, I could probably put everything into a fanny pack, but since my rear end is the biggest part of me, whatever I had in a fanny pack would catch on rhododendron as I was trying to bushwhack out of a stream. The pack stays close to my back and rarely gets in the way. Plus I can clip my rod tube (a 4pc rod) to the pack, which would be tougher with a fanny pack...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks, everyone, I'm still just planning. I probably will get a chest pack of some kind from Fishpond. I know there products seem to be made better than most. I have a cheap lumbar pack right now and it is cheap. The threads break constantly and it won't hold up for back country fishing. I need to spend some money to get something worthwhile. As for water, I don't like filters. I rather buy some of the aqua mira tablets for about $12 dollars. They are really the best for my purposes.

thanks,
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Fishpond Blue River, can be worn purse(man purse that is) fanny or chest style

Grumpy
Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Howdy Hans...

...I had problems with that same lumbar pack, or at least another I had just like it. It did allow me to see whether or not I liked that style as opposed to a vest or chest pack.

I upgraded to a Wm Joseph lumbar pack this past summer and it has done far better. The belt is s bit wider and offers better support along with the pack being much better quality.

I do like my Gore Tech pack from Fishpond for the fall and winter when I am in waders.

I have to admit though, the deal posted on the Fishpond is a great buy.

Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Pmike!

Thanks for your input, you converted me from a vest back in the spring with you know what. I'm forever grateful for that. Now it's time to upgrade, hence my inquiry. I'm leaning towards a fishpond chest pack and then adding a high end lumbar pack not made for the fly fishing market. I need something wide and sturdy. I'm still looking.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Default William Joseph Lumbar Pack

Hans, I was in Michigan this past week and saw a great Lumbar pack from William Joseph Catalyst for $59. I has two water bottles, is built well and holds about 700 cu.in. The Fishpond Waterdance ($89), Dragonfly ($69) and Kiowa ($59) packs also look good. The Waterdance and Dragon fly can be used as a Lumbar pack or Chest Pack.

I may have to trade in my cheap backpack for something nicer this year...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM

I will throw a plug out there for the waterdance by fishpond. This thing will expand to much larger that I ever thought. I use it exclusivley. It is very versatile as to the way you can wear it. Chest pack, lumbar, I even throw the lumbar strap over one shoulder for deeper water. There are straps built in to compress the pack when you not looking through it. You cannot beat the fold down fly bench. This is one the best things to happen to gear in a while. It has many attachment points on the outside for fly fishing specific gear too. I felt apprehensive about the price at first, but it was justified.

P.S. there gear comes with a comment card. I filled this out with some nice things about their products and got a cool fishpond sticker in the mail, but dont let the sticker influence your decision.