Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Favorite Midge Patterns

Since we are coming up on that time of year when midges reign supreme, I just thought I would get some input from other members as to their favorite midge patterns. Plus I find that this is the time of year that I begin to tie up some new patterns in preparation for the next year. I am partial to BH zebra and blood midges with BH brassie's coming up right behind for larva and pupae imitations.

So, what are some of your favorite midge patterns?

Travis
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM

do you guys weight your zebra midges (beasides bead head)...ie..lead wrap?

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Default lead wrapped zebra midges

Buckeye,
Anytime I use a bead, I apply a couple of wraps of lead to slide up inside the hole in the bead to help secure it into place. I have never tied mine with only lead because I usually want my zebra midge to get to the bottom as quickly as possible in the typically swift water I fish. If I were fishing some really slow water, I would probably try to use one with a few turns of lead. In my opinion doing this would help the zebra midge to better match the profile of midge larva. I have even experimented with using only red ultrawire to tie a blood midge (no thread, just apply multiple coats of nail polish to seal), and I can't see why such a tactic wouldn't work for a zebra midge if you could find some small black wire.

Travis
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM

I like bead head Zebras and a close second is a noumber 24 biot midge pupa. Really easy to tie if you can get it in the vice!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Wire Zebra Midge

I tie some of my zebra midges with just wire. One silver and one black wire Wrapped alternately (like a misquito pattern). Looks nice, stays real slim, and when combined with a tungsten bead, I like to think it gets down real fast. The wire also holds up better then the same midge tied with a thread body and wire rib. However to be fair the thread body one will last through 20 fish pretty easy.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Default midge

If there is some current I like a Syl's midge. A small pt with or without a bead. Try this black hook#19, black thread, piece of flash on the tail, build up the thorax with thread, small piece of flash on each side for cheeks. Has turned the head on a couple of decent fish. Also add a tiny antron wing on small soft hackles. Flash is like perfume; enough to attract, but not enough to back you away. I have seen grey midge patterns produce well on the SoHo and the Clinch. A tiny red head or tail can be an extra trigger. Probably what skunks us most with midge fishing is presentation, not pattern as important as it is.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Default favorite midge

I have to say my favorite is a danville's brown thread wrapped midge with a black micro wire backbone and ribbing with a tiny Tungsten gunmetal bead sz 18-22. On the Norfork River in Arkansas this midge has been dynamite when the diamond midge slows down. The color of the midges in low oxygen actually change to that dark brownish red and the fish take them freely. Has truly become a staple for me on tailwater rivers.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Wade, do you have any pictures of that midge that you'd be willing to share? Sounds like an interesting combination of colors...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com