Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Cow standing factor

Maybe someone can help me on this, being new to fishing (1st yr), I been reading the fishing reports. What does it mean "Cow Standing Factor"?.

My grandsons have seen it, when they are over to the house, and I don't know what to tell them.

Grampajac
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Hello Grampajack

The Cow Standing Factor started as a joke but there is some historical significance. Old timers here think that "If the cows are standing the fishing is good, if they are laying down the fishing will be bad". I made a comment a year or so ago on the Fishing Report that the cows were standing so the fishing would be good. People here on the message board started talking about it and it evolved. Gerry Romer sent me the avatar with the cow and the fish and I've used it ever since. So I started the Cow Standing Factor. I actually count the cows in the field across the road from our store using binoculars. The factor is the percentage of the total that are standing. Thanks for reading the Fishing Report. I enjoy writing it every day.

Byron
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the information. I do read your report evey chance I get. I really enjoyed your shop too. I can't wait to get back to the smokies and try my luck.

Grampajac