Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 03-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Okay, I know I'm a procrasternator, but I did it on company time . Ordered my plate. The site says we are only 45% there. Lets all get together on this and get that darned plate to go. Plus it just looks cool.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Default Me 2

Got my application sent in this week as well.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Angry I think some are losing site!

Yes, I too procrastinated and ordered mine about a month ago! However, reading through I see some dislike to the cost's of the plate...First off it's considered a donation if i'm not mistaken...Second I don't know who all does your taxes, but all of it is one big write off anywho! Regardless of the cost you know exactly where the proceeds are going provided you are an active TU member....of which I am not yet!

I will say this yet again...I don't think it will just be us trout finatics buying this plate...Someone is gonna see it, think it looks good, think it matches the colors of thier car, or is just plain "pretty" and spend the money on it not knowing that the money is actually going somewhere good!

There is 2500 TU member's, so can someone tell me why we haven't reached that goal yet...Someone please just tell me all trout fisherman procrastinate! I want this tag on my vehicle...

~Brett
Old 03-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Brent!

Not wanting to start an argument but as I said previously. Knox County raised the price of our tags from $24 a year to $60 a year. Add the TU tag and it's $95 a year. I know it can be considered a donation but you can't deduct the entire $95. I think you can deduct the portion that goes to TU $17.50. I just don't like the idea of paying $95 a year for a tag, TU or not. I just do some sweat equity for TU instead.

Don't want to sound smart on this but there are TU members who are actively involved in their programs who doesn't necessarily like the $95 for the plate. I know it's mostly the local government but it's $95 never the less.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Hans

No, no, no! Argument...insue's. No all joking aside, the plate's proceeds can be deducted at the end of the year as a deduction. As for the rest of the plate, since were already long forming it, you can deduct the cost of registration from you taxes as well. Making all $95.00 deductable! You can do it for as many plates/registration's that you own. No, I'm not trying to start an argument nor do I know how or what the TU chapter's member's do, or donate prior too their purchase of a plate! I don't doubt for a second you guys don't like the $95.00 for a plate, as I don't like those numbers for a pretty plate either. I just like the thought of every body elses money who doesn't have anything to do with fishing paying for TU's endevours!

I hope it happens! I think everyone will reap the benifits of it!
~Brett
Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Brett!

That's interesting, my research has shown that you can only deduct $17.50 as that is the proceeds to a non profit. The rest is tax and registration to the state. I haven't found anywhere that you can deduct that on federal returns. I need to do some more research. Regardless, I'm sorry I won't be contributing to this plate. We all have to make our own priorities I guess.

As for who does what and why for a non profit: I was merely showing my frustration with TU I guess not so much about anyone's personal interest in a plate or not. I'm getting kind of tired that everything is about money. I know TU has to do what others do, but I wish they will start saving by stopping all these ridicouolus mass maililngs. I receive a mailing from TU just about every month. If it's not about life membership it's for renewals. I will send in my payment when my renewal is up in May. I won't pay it in December and TU can stop sending a notice every month. If they keep sending enough of em' I leave the darn organization.

I'm sorry for my ranting but I am tired of junk mail and constant asking for money, oh the phone rings, the local college want's money since they have only raised tuition 15% every year for a decade. LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Tax advice (sort of)

Hans, I'm not a tax attorney, but according to taxcut.com (where I filed my taxes) you should be able to deduct the entire amount. State taxes are deductible on your federal taxes. I don't know if you use software or do it yourself, but using a tax program has saved me thousands of dollars (I'm not kidding, thousands...). I didn't realize that state taxes and many other things were deductible, plus if they make a mistake they will pay the difference and fines (if any) to the IRS on your behalf. Its just too hard keeping up with the tax laws...

I also agree about TU. I'd like to see them spend less on mass membership drive mailings and more on what they are trying to do as an organization.

That said, I already applied for a plate...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:10 PM

See I guess that's where I don't get frustrated, I'm not a member. However as you already know I am a member of FFF. It actually took them forever to mail me my first subscription. Either way, I do understand your frustration, now seeing it from the other side of the fence.

As for the federal return, I went back and checked with my tax program...Seeing as I don't ever fool with it, I seem to have misled several people with my last post. I use TurboTax and never fool with putting in my registration fee's, but it always asks. I went back and took a long look at it, it seems as if Tennessee is not included in that circle of states that take registration fees as deductions. So Hans, you are correct. It would only be a cetain amount of that donation that would be available for deduction!

Sorry for the confustion folks!

As for the plates, I hope it happens but it's not looking good!

Han's I appreciate the argument, LOL, I learned something!

~Brett
Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Pete!

As Brett found out, you can't deduct but the amount going to TU in TN. $17.50 fore each plate.

Brett!

Sorry that it took so long for FFF to get your stuff out. It looks like they should hire some of the mail people TU uses.LOL.

Anyway, I'm not upset with anyone or feel a need to harp about it. I'm just not going to pay $60 for the plate. The plate looks good and I'm sorry if it's not going to happen. I blame it all on a couple of local politicians in this crooked town Knoxville, Blount county seem to be a more civilized place every day to live in.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM

I ck'd www.tuplate.org just now and 540 have been sold. Have to get to 1000 by June 30.

sb