Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Tennswede,

if you would like a tag, I'll pay the $35 for you. If you don't want to renew, use it to decorate the tying area.

I've already purchased more tags than I have vehicles for. Like you, don't know if I will buy it ever year, but I'd like it to be available for the ones that do.

I'm in the Cumberland chapter and it's unreal how much sweat Dr. Davis has put into this project. That is one dedicated gentleman.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. I have the money the deal is that I don't like the cost of it. I'm not going to rehash it here again but the state could be more accomodating and not setting such a high bar of 1000 plates. It feels like blackmail to me. The other part of it is how much the state get vs TU but like I said this is just a political debate which I'm not going to go in to.

I hope the plate becomes a reality but in it's current form I'm not going to support it. That's all I'm going to say in the matter, and I'm not offended by anyones opinion.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM

I understand where you are coming from. Heard today that TN is considering Toll roads, now ain't that grand, will scare you what they are getting in tax off the gas to start with that is being "misused".

I'd say the Smallmouth fishers have us out numbered 100 to 1 and if I remember correctly they almost didn't meet their 1000 tags either.

500 would be more like it instead of a 1000.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 PM

I've been in the printing business since 1973. I can tell you one thing that applies to any type of printing or manufacturing. It costs a lot less per unit to make several hundred thousand than it takes to make one thousand. I bet the State of Tennessee makes more money per plate on your typical run of the mill common plate than they do on these TU custom plates.

Additionally, you can write off the $35 fee on your Federal Income Taxes as a donation according to Dick Davis. (I wrote my check to Trout Unlimited a non-profit organization for two plates). If you don't want to deduct it then don't. I haven't talked to my accountant about it but I presume that the first round is a writeoff. We are making a contribution to get a fund raising program going. If it's not deductible, I won't. I bet it is.

$17.50 goes to trout conservation in our state. Do the math and maybe you will agree that it's not a bad deal.

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 04-18-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Byron!

You can't deduct the $35 dollars on a federal return. Only the donation which is $17.50. Regardless, it's not the point. The point is that $95 for a tag in Knox County is too high. With gas being $4 soon, I'm considering giving up on this sport all together. Most people here in East TN doesn't have the wages or the means to keep this up in this inflationary economy. Needless to say I'm fed up. Never in my life did I think I had to experience the same distress as I did in Europe a decade and a half ago. U.S.A. used to have low cost of living. Not anymore. With a dollar on par with banana republic currency and inflation soon hitting 8% on a yearly basis, we won't be arguing about a TU plate for much longer.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Default T U Plate

I have not walked in the footsteps of the previous contributor, however the cost of living in East Tennessee is far less than most places domestic or abroad. The expense of the plate is not the issue, the issue is support of the sport and the Trout Fishing community. I for one do not care if there is a deduction for $17.50. I give to charities for their benefit and my own gratification. My order was placed months ago and if they do not produce the plates my money will stay with TU. I do not make a lot so it is not like there is extra lying around, especially with 2 girls in 2 different colleges.
I have read this conversation for months now and like the one about why fly shops close and it comes to to living with choices. If you choose to buy off the internet because of price then do not complain when a shop closes. If ya don't want a plate then do not be so negetive about it so others will help reach the goal. That is all I have to say about that.
Since I have gone this far THANKS to LRO for the web site I enjoy it very much. I just wish you were closer to Knoxville cause I liked brousing around the Creel for stuff and to kill time. Scott also knows some good jokes.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM

Brian,

I called Scott on Wednesday. We did a lot of laughing as usual. He has an exceptional sense of humor. He was getting ready to clean a 20 pound wild turkey that he shot that morning.

Byron
Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Cost of plates

I've been paying $74-75 per vehicle for as long as I can remember. I live in Sumner County, near Nashville, and have lived in other states too. Seems like a pretty normal cost to me. Actually some states charge several times that much per year.

Anyway, I sent my check in for the TU plate months ago, w/in days of legislature approval, and I hope enough people come thru in the next month to make it happen.

sb
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Default T U Plates

25 to go the web site was updated Oct.14
We are getting close!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Default I'll chip in two

Gonna be hard giving up my FLYFISH tag, but for the sake of this project I'm throwing it in!

It's a challenge to get this over the top!