Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Newbie and son trip is almost here

Well, the time is almost here. I am sure that I am more excited than cardfly jr. but he has been backing for over a week and wears his waders and vest in the backyard every night. OK so I wear mine too but I don't think anyone has seen me.

Saturday morning (November 10) we will go to LRO to get started and then to one of the childrens streams until lunch. All of your help and information about where to fish with the little one has been great. Hope to get my final information at LRO.

We are going to fish Saturday and Sunday and head back to Louisville on Monday. Hope to share some pics and good news about how well the fishing went when we get back. I may have to just make something up...

Ahhhh, one more week. I'm already more relaxed.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM

the prongs and little river are always good to fish you need to have some green weenies, barbie bugs, small bead head pheasant tails the shop shoud be able to help you a lot and point in the right direction
good luck and tight lines
Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks Tater,

By the way, could anyone help with directions to the kids stream above the North Gatlinburg Park Entrance? or is there an easier one to get to from Townsend?

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the two kids spots are herbert holt park and mynatt park. stop at the visitor center on the spur and they can show you on a map.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM

What a weekend and yes, I finally caught a trout!

First of all, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We started off at LRO on Saturday morning for some gear, flys and suggestions. Went from there to Holt Park for cardfly Jr.

He did well and got 2 rainbows of good size with one being real good size. He did use a fly rod and on the first one I noticed that the fish seemed to be getting away. He was reeling the wrong way but we corrected and netted a good one.

Left there and drove up towards the chimneys and took one of the quiet walkways down to the stream. Fished a couple of hours there with no luck. By now I'm thinking about getting skunked by a 6 year old but I stop and remember that is the journey that counts.

Back to Townsend for the night and a good nights rest.

Off to Tremont on Sunday morning. Along the road we saw several fly fisherman and talked to several. All said it was a tough day but it was great talking to all of them but I started to think about the skunking again. And, by the way, we did have a skunk at the campground around our site everynight we were there and I started to see a common thread.

We stopped on the gravel road past Tremont and in we go. About an hour into fishing it happened.... a 3 or 4 inch, what I believe to be brook trout took an orange stim with rubber legs. I did get a picture and set it free. At that point, from all the hugging and high fiving, me and cardfly jr. almost went into the drink.

Stopped at the Glory Hole on the way out to just look.

Loved the entire trip and can't wait for the next trip. That will be April for spring break.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help.

**Upon further review of the photographic evidence, the size of the fish has been downgraded to about 2 inches. The photographic evidence does not show, however, how freakishly strong this mutant 2 inch trout was.

Last edited by cardfly; 11-14-2007 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Because every fisherman has the right to stretch the truth a little!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Cardfly and Cardfly JR.
Congratualtions on your trout and on getting out with your son fishing.

It's rewarding to fish with your child and, in the end, that's better than catching fish. You were able to do both.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Thumbs up Congrats!

Cardfly,

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you all enjoyed yourselves as much as you did. You came at one of the most challenging times to fish the Smokies with the summer we've had and not a lot of relief (rain-wise) in sight. If you come back in April, you better keep your creel tied down, they'll be jumping in it faster than you can cast.

Hats off for introducing Cardfly Jr. to the joy of fly fishing. It will be something the two of you can share for a lifetime. My son is 28 and I really enjoy the rare times we get out together - they're something special.

Till April, dream of tight lines.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com