Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Cumberland Trip

I'm thinking of heading to the Cumberland this month but I've never been and would like some help on a good place to start. I'll will be wade fishing and I'm not familiar with the water. Where are some good places to start wading and how much of the river is wadeable? Can anyone advise a good place to stay while I'm there (camping or hotel). Any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Elk Report: I fished the Elk today for about 4 hours. The winds were strong and there weren't alot of fish rising like normal but I did manage to catch about 15 in the standard Elk size range. All fish were caught on an olive zebra midge in a size #18 and all were caught about 20 yards below the bridge at the dam. There were several people on the river today for a Monday and didn't see many of them catching fish.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 AM

MT, I would suggest around the Burkesville, KY area. Lodging is limited but available.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Cumberland Fishing

My friend and I went to the Cumberland for the first time this past weekend and had a great time. We are from the Dayton, Oh area and fish the Mad River for Browns. We fished Friday through Sunday at Helms Landing, just south of the Dam and caught plenty of Browns and Rainbows. My friend caught a monster Brown on Sunday morning. It hung out both ends of the dip net and must have been an easy five pounder, if not more. We had the most luck with a Woolybugger with a trailer of a bead headed Prince Nymph.

The river was usually down early in the morning and came up later in the morning, but would then recead throughout the afternoon. Wading is great at Helms Landing. The bottom is consistent, the water is clear and cold, and the fish are plenty.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Cumberland River

MT365,
Helms Landing is super. If you are looking for a place to camp, Kendall campground is the best. Helms is about a 13 mile drive from campground. Ray Mann Rd. is another good place, only about one mile form campground. The river is so low you can even wade at the boat ramp at campground.
Paul
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM

Second Kendall Campground. We caught fish right there wading. It is really down. I grew up bass fishing the lake and was 11 or so the last time it was as low as it was in August. It is definitely worth thr trip. The hatchery is interesting also.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to the trip, sometimes the preperation for a trip is just as exciting as the trip itself. I'll probably check out the Helms Landing area.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM

I fished Helm's Landing last night (Friday Nov. 9). The water was lower than usual, but the fish activity was incredible...as always. I saw the biggest trout of my entire life, and it almost scared me to death. I was tying on a black zebra midge and this HUGE brown jumped out of the water about 10 feet from where I was standing. It was so big that I literally yelled out loud. It had to be over 30 inches...the splash sounded like a log being thrown into the river from a helicopter. It was amazing, and strangely enough, I saw several other trout in that same size range.

If I were you, I'd fish zebra midges (size 18-20) in black, olive, brown, and red dropped 18-20" behind a parachute adams or some type of stimulator. The dry doesn't really matter, because you're just using it as an indicator...just make sure it has good visibility. You should also try a wooly bugger with a trailing nymph (Probably a prince, copper john, or a PT). Those bigger trout will violently attack the wooly, but they'll get hooked on the nymph.

Good luck. Don't get freaked out when you seem those monster browns...just remember, there are lots of them in there....
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Helm's Landing

How would a first-timer find good wade access? Where is Helm's? TIA.

sb
Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Steve, Helm's Landing is 4.7 river miles from Wolf Creek Dam.